Having trouble with 1080p full screen

Reaction score
I know this has been covered but I can't seem to find an answer. I decided to hook my 2010 Mac Mini (DVI-HDMI) to my Sony 27in LCD, and it is not going fullscreen. I tried overscan and of course the top menu was cut off and part of the dock. I tried to adjust the settings on my LCD but nothing is working any suggestions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know this has been covered but I can't seem to find an answer. I decided to hook my 2010 Mac Mini (DVI-HDMI) to my Sony 27in LCD, and it is not going fullscreen. I tried overscan and of course the top menu was cut off and part of the dock. I tried to adjust the settings on my LCD but nothing is working any suggestions?

Have you been to the "Display" System Preference and checked the resolution settings for the external monitor?

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Have you been to the "Display" System Preference and checked the resolution settings for the external monitor?

- Nick

It is a computer monitor. I have a Sony All-in-One system and the screen can double as a monitor

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It is a computer monitor. I have a Sony All-in-One system and the screen can double as a monitor

That didn't answer my question (you may have been responding to bobtomay's post). Whether it's a Sony All-In-One system or not...it still acts as an external monitor for the Mac-Mini.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
That didn't answer my question (you may have been responding to bobtomay's post). Whether it's a Sony All-In-One system or not...it still acts as an external monitor for the Mac-Mini.

- Nick

Yes I tried different settings, still no luck, I can go widescreen but things get chopped off the same as if I change settings on the mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't have DVI or VGA input on the monitor?

Would guess Sony has the monitor set up for it's HDMI input to be expecting an external DVD/Blu-Ray player, etc. and it is using overscan. Without a way to turn off overscan in the monitor settings, you're going to need to set up a custom resolution. I used SwitchResX for awhile with my '06 DVI out MBP. Do not recall the specific resolution I used to take care of the issue on a 1080p TV.

edit: I actually have the resolution I used in the link above.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.