Why lion is a real clunker

Reaction score
Turn on ACTIVITY MONITOR.
Close Safari.
Dump the cache.
Restart Safari.
Log on to a media site...e.g. a newspaper.
Watch the available free memory disappear.
In my case ...4 Gb...it goes down to 7 Mb !!!!!
Whereas in Snow Leopard loading was instantaneous in Lion it can take upwards of 40 seconds for the same page to load.
I have ...today...ordered another 4 Gb memory.
Hope it fixes the main part of the problem until Apple realises...and fixes...their version of Windows Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It's Safari. Don't use it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That was a problem early on in Lion with Safari, but that was fixed some time back. What version of Safari are you running? And of Lion? I can tell you I'm not having that problem now, and I know I was before when Lion first came out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
It's odd that this doesn't affect everyone... I have had zero issues.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's odd that this doesn't affect everyone... I have had zero issues.

It shows a lot more with heavy Flash usage. Otherwise it's sort of fixed. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Hahaha... I install Click To Flash on every system. It's pretty much one of the first things that I do.

C

chas_m

So what have we learned today? :)

We've learned that Safari is not the issue. Flash is the issue.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

When did we establish that this was the problem here? The OP didn't mention Flash at all. I agree that Flash is problematic but we have no idea what role is does or doesn't play here.

To the OP: what website are you experiencing these problems on? Safari is known to have memory management problems and the judge is still out on whether 5.1.2 fixes that (as noted here and here) but it shouldn't be that bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

If Flash is ever an issue, it's because of shoddy programming. I can reproduce the same type of issues with many HTML 5 based sites. Besides, it is not Flash which is/was the main problem...it was the Safari memory leak... a very real thing.

I've personally never had an issue using FF on or off Flash sites or streaming.

Doug

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If Flash is ever an issue, it's because of shoddy programming. I can reproduce the same type of issues with many HTML 5 based sites.
It's interesting you say that and I wish more people would see this. HTML5 can be unnecessarily complex in the name of "pizazz" which ends up making my CPU cry. If I open up this HTML5 demo for example and set it to 500 snowflakes, both of my CPU cores shoot up to 50% usage which is a lot for falling snowflakes and some music in a web page. Now, I still much prefer this over Flash but HTML5 has its problems as well (still waiting on that fullscreen video for example).

On stability: I've never seen an HTML5 application take down a page quite like a Flash app can since a browser can handle HTML errors much more gracefully but it's far from perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
The OP may not say "Flash" directly, but "Open a Media Site" and "Newspaper" both scream of Flash. Sorry.

I ran his little "test" but went to my normal sites; here, a few other forum sites, FB, and then I went to Vimeo (nearly 100% non-flash now) and I have to say, I didnt notice any real memory leak as described, however memory use went up at FB.

Besides, I use my iPad for media consumption, my MBP for media creation.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can visit quite a few media sites that don't use Flash. Media streaming and sites from media corporations are not one and the same. In fact, I could easily read the news (and frequently do) without ever seeing Flash content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
Is Safari an issue, should I be using a different browser?

Mine seems to work fine...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Use whatever works for you since every application has benefits and problems. Safari may have its problems but so does Firefox, Chrome and Opera. If you like Safari, stick with it. If, however, you haven't tried the other browsers, it couldn't hurt to test run them to see if you like something more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Is Safari an issue, should I be using a different browser?

Mine seems to work fine...

It's purely a personal preference. I use and prefer Safari. Others use and prefer Chrome, or Firefox, or whatever else. None are without their own problems or quirks. If Safari had a major problem, or one sneaks by in the future, Apple will address it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's purely a personal preference. I use and prefer Safari. Others use and prefer Chrome, or Firefox, or whatever else. None are without their own problems or quirks. If Safari had a major problem, or one sneaks by in the future, Apple will address it.

All absolutely true. I can't answer as to whether this is the norm with Safari, as I don't use it. It's not a problem with my configuration, browser, and browsing habits. In fact, I had to work to load up the existing RAM on my macbook pro this weekend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I took a look at my local news sites and they are LOADED with Flash. Didnt matter what browser I used, memory use went up significantly. I left those pages, memory use went down. This is why I don't use these sites at all. 90% Ads, 5% crawlers, 5% content.

OP never states what sites they went to - we cant look at what they are looking at. Lets not make assumptions on this without knowing where the OP was browsing. He hasn't even been back.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lets not make assumptions on this without knowing where the OP was browsing. He hasn't even been back.
The OP may not say "Flash" directly, but "Open a Media Site" and "Newspaper" both scream of Flash. Sorry.
I agree, we shouldn't make assumptions. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lets not make assumptions on this without knowing where the OP was browsing. He hasn't even been back.

I doubt there will be any reply, to be honest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.