• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

transferring video from a PC to a MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, you have a couple of choices:

1) If you have an external NTFS hard drive, you can copy them to it from the PC and then copy the files off the external on your Mac (Mac can read NTFS, just not write without additional software)

2) Setup a network between the two computers and copy the files across it.

Those would probably be the easiest methods I can think of off hand.

Once it's on the Macbook, if you plan on editing it, you will most likely need to transcode it although you can attempt to import it. I know a while back I had used FRAPS and made a video and had to transcode everything before use, but I had used Final Cut at the time and not iMovie.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, you have a couple of choices:

1) If you have an external NTFS hard drive, you can copy them to it from the PC and then copy the files off the external on your Mac (Mac can read NTFS, just not write without additional software)

2) Setup a network between the two computers and copy the files across it.

Those would probably be the easiest methods I can think of off hand.

Once it's on the Macbook, if you plan on editing it, you will most likely need to transcode it although you can attempt to import it. I know a while back I had used FRAPS and made a video and had to transcode everything before use, but I had used Final Cut at the time and not iMovie.

okay..I know like nothing about any of that stuff so im going to need like step by step on how to do #2 if possible. Thanks.

Edit: I have a wireless hook up that runs from my PC to my MacBook. Like I have the PC hard-wired but also running through a wireless router so my macbook can get internet too if that makes sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, you can do it wirelessly, but you will probably find that it takes forever - I'd suggest, at least for when transferring huge files like the size that fraps creates you'll most likely want to just get an ethernet cable and for the time to transfer it, just hook the Macbook into the switch on your wireless router (which is what I assume you have).

Some people find it easier to do the drag and drop on the PC side, so the easiest way to handle it is, on the Mac, in your home folder, there is a folder named Public - Right click on that folder and select Shared Folder.

Also on the Mac, go into System Preferences->Sharing. Enable File Sharing, press the options button on the right and make sure you select "Share files and folder using SMB (Windows)" and click Done

Before exiting the system preferences, you should see where it states computer name - jot that down. Go to the windows PC, open up Explorer (windows key+E), click in the navigation bar/location bar and type \\YOURSYSTEMNAMEHERE\ and press Enter
it should now list the shared folders on your Mac.
Open public
You should see a folder in there called Drop Box - drag the video files into that folder (the default settings you can't write directly to the public folder, but you can write to the drop box). Once the files are transferred, go to the Mac, in your home folder, open the Public folder, in there you should see the Drop Box, open it and move the files to wherever you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.