Max RAM in Macbooks?

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've got a Core 1 Duo 2.0 Gigahertz Macbook, purchased around the middle of 2006. I've got 1 gig of RAM in there currently, and want to add more. Apple says that it only takes 2 Gigs max, but I've heard that's an artificial deflation to create a larger gap between the MB and the MB Pro, and that the MB can actually take 3 Gigs of RAM.

Does anyone know about this? Please let me know!

J

Reaction score
I believe that you can install up to 4gb but it will only be able to use 3gb, hope that helps you out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Hey folks,

I've got a Core 1 Duo 2.0 Gigahertz Macbook, purchased around the middle of 2006. I've got 1 gig of RAM in there currently, and want to add more. Apple says that it only takes 2 Gigs max, but I've heard that's an artificial deflation to create a larger gap between the MB and the MB Pro, and that the MB can actually take 3 Gigs of RAM.

Does anyone know about this? Please let me know!

J

The chipset of the pre November Macbook is the same as the Mac mini. It allows mismatched RAM modules and so you can fit 0.5, 1 and 2 Gb SODIMMS to a maximum of THREE Gb despite what Apple says. You can get 3Gb by fitting a 2Gb and a 1Gb SODIMM. The new model goes up to 4Gb in two 2Gb SODIMMS

You need this 1 x 2Gb 667MHz DDR2 SODIMM + 1 x 1Gb 667MHz DDR2 SODIMM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i thought the CD macbooks could only do 2GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
i thought the CD macbooks could only do 2GB?

Apple state on their site that the maximum RAM is 2Gb which is probably an artificial limit set by them in order to demonstrate a bigger difference between the Macbook and Macbook pro. They do the same on the Mac pro stating that it can only handle 16Gb even though it uses the same chipset as the Xserver. The reality is that the Macbook CAN go to 3Gb and the Mac pro CAN go to 32Gb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
officialy the intel base macbooks support up to 2gb of 667mhz of ddr2 so-dimm ram but you can install AND utilise up to 3gb but its more expensive as you are not able to buy packs so u have to buy individual chips, need more info? pm me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I thought the max in a core duo was 2gb and in a core 2 duo was 3gb. Sorry if I am wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought the max in a core duo was 2gb and in a core 2 duo was 3gb. Sorry if I am wrong.

I am talking about the pre November 2007 machine (when all of them were DVD). The CD only version may or may not be the same but I suspect it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
officialy the intel base macbooks support up to 2gb of 667mhz of ddr2 so-dimm ram but you can install AND utilise up to 3gb but its more expensive as you are not able to buy packs so u have to buy individual chips, need more info? pm me

Just buy the SODIMMS from crucial and it works! Machine specific packs are usually more expensive!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD

You are correct. Core Duo is only 2GB.

Everyone else, now that there are THREE different generations of MacBooks out there, we have to be careful when making recommendations - we don't want to have people wasting their money.

Here's the current breakdown:

Core Duo Macbook - 2GB max
Core 2 Duo Macbooks - 3GB max
Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa Macbooks - 4GB max

OP
P
Reaction score
Okay. Cool. I have a Core Duo, so I'm supposing that mine only supports 2 Gigs. Thanks. I can get a 2 gig pack for $55 down at Crucial. Thanks for recommending that site, guys and gals!

Reaction score
How do I know if I have a Santa Rosa macbook?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. I guess 3gb is my Limit.

Reaction score
It's the latest generation released a few weeks ago, when did you buy your macbook? Check in system profile if your front serial bus is 800mhz then it's a santa rosa chip if its 667 then its an older generation.

Reaction score
I have a core duo 2
I have 2GB(2 X 1GB) coming via newegg here in a few days.

Ive just realized that I can go up to 3GB. Is it worth returning the new RAM to go up to 3?

Is the difference between 1GB -> 2GB the same as 2GB ->3GB ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD
I have a core duo 2
I have 2GB(2 X 1GB) coming via newegg here in a few days.

Ive just realized that I can go up to 3GB. Is it worth returning the new RAM to go up to 3?

Is the difference between 1GB -> 2GB the same as 2GB ->3GB ?

I would be interested in knowing this as well. I'm thinking of upgrading my Macbook's memory after the new year.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
it all depends what you do with your ram, and if you find yourself under 400mb in a normal day.

for me , 4gb is great, because i run parallels all day long.

for you, it may vary.

if you do email, and internet, itunes, that stuff. id stick with 2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.