Best BOOK for a Switcher?

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good book for a Switcher?

I know Windows like the back of my hand, but don't know squat about how to use a Mac.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Ha!

I'm in the same position and just made a similar post in another thread.

I was thinking about purchasing "Missing Manual: OSX" or whatever it's called, because it's by David Pogue and I like David Pogue, but I really want something in depth that covers not just "here is iPhoto, you can adjust the contrast by clicking adjustments!", but more of the core system "stuff" like how the OS works, what EXACTLY happens when I drag a program to the Applications folder, stuff about the registry, etc, etc.

I'd really like a recomendation too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb
Definitely missing manual, great book :)

Reaction score
I've read it's good for a switcher.

At least according to the Amazon reviews.

That said, I really don't know, just what I've read from others :)

I've actually also heard (as was mentioned) that the "Tips" book is very good, though perhaps it's not so much focused at a Switcher, though I'd assuming it would still be just as useful for us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
Originally Posted by shoelessone
I was thinking about purchasing "Missing Manual: OSX"

But is that the best book for a "Switcher", or is that one better for someone that is already familiar with a Mac?

I don't know if its the BEST book for a Switcher, but it is certainly a great book! I just got it yesterday, and I've already learned serveral new tricks. It's an awesome book that I think would be very helpful for switchers.

William

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoelessone
I was thinking about purchasing "Missing Manual: OSX"

I don't know if its the BEST book for a Switcher, but it is certainly a great book! I just got it yesterday, and I've already learned serveral new tricks. It's an awesome book that I think would be very helpful for switchers.

William

I bought it for the switch and it was the best money I have ever spent. After 6 months of ownership I can confidently say I am good with macs. The book still comes in handy now and then but its just for reference stuff.

Buy the missing manual then something more hands on down the road.

BTW Chief...are you the same chief from the M3 forum?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
The "Killer Tips" book is very good, but it's not really a guide on how to switch. After about a month of using OS X I suggest you might like a read to pick on some of the more advanced stuff, or just how to do what you do quicker/easier.

Reaction score
Can I ask how experience you were previously with IBM compatibles (i.e. PCs)?

I know many of you used PCs for many years, but I'm wondering which (if any) of these books are good for "power users". I really don't want a book that covers things like how a computer works, or how to right click, etc.

I'd really like a book that discusses the HTF (or what have you) file system a bit (not in depth, just overall), how/why disk permissions seem to always get screwed up, as well as a basic overview of the Mac workflow/process (managing files after comming from a windows directory system, etc).

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
I bought it for the switch and it was the best money I have ever spent. After 6 months of ownership I can confidently say I am good with macs. The book still comes in handy now and then but its just for reference stuff.

Buy the missing manual then something more hands on down the road.

BTW Chief...are you the same chief from the M3 forum?

I'm not sure which M3 forum you are talking about, so it's probably not me. :eek: Are you in the military?

Can I ask how experience you were previously with IBM compatibles (i.e. PCs)?

I know many of you used PCs for many years, but I'm wondering which (if any) of these books are good for "power users". I really don't want a book that covers things like how a computer works, or how to right click, etc.

I'd really like a book that discusses the HTF (or what have you) file system a bit (not in depth, just overall), how/why disk permissions seem to always get screwed up, as well as a basic overview of the Mac workflow/process (managing files after comming from a windows directory system, etc).

Thanks!

I've been working on PCs since 1987 and consider myself very PC knowledgeable. The Missing Manual looks pretty comprehensive. It's over 800 pages and covers terminal/unix commands, permissions, applescript, filesharing, hacking the Mac, etc. If you're a switcher, it also covers things basic to the Mac, like keystroke shortcuts and cool undocumented tricks.

I agree with kilo above. Buy this book now and then in six months, buy something more advanced.

Reaction score
I've been working on PCs since 1987 and consider myself very PC knowledgeable. The Missing Manual looks pretty comprehensive. It's over 800 pages and covers terminal/unix commands, permissions, applescript, filesharing, hacking the Mac, etc. If you're a switcher, it also covers things basic to the Mac, like keystroke shortcuts and cool undocumented tricks.

I agree with kilo above. Buy this book now and then in six months, buy something more advanced.

Great, thanks for the advice :)

I am a bit nervous, I just got back from a local (small) bookstore and the only book they had was a "Macs for Dummies" book, and after skimming through it breifly I almost killed myself. Passages talking about how to click on a link and what a link is, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Mac OS X Unleashed is pretty good if you want to know more about OS X and system internals. Try it online and if you like it, buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
(Just wanted to quickly say something that is, admittedly, a little off topic. My apologies.)

...but more of the core system "stuff" like how the OS works, what EXACTLY happens when I drag a program to the Applications folder, stuff about the registry, etc, etc.

When you drag a program into the Applications folder, it just helps you keep track of where your programs are. And I think Apple uses the folder to update its apps (so they know exactly what folder they are in).

Oh, and there is no registry. That's a Windows-only feature, and not one I particularly miss!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
A -Mac- book?

HE he....oh god, I'm a dork.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
i was thinking about buying a book about Mac and i find that "missing manual" pretty good but i think its a better idea to buy a book for Leopard when they come out.Is this a good idea or "missing manual" will help me even for Leopard?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.