Apple Products. Quality Control Issues!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad-Core i7. 20GB DDR3 RAM. 2TB 7200RPM HDD, 2GB ATI 6970. 27" 2011. iPad 4th Gen. iPhone 5. MBP 09
Apple really starting to make a mockery of themselves lately. Or maybe Im just unlucky.

Over the past 8 weeks for me:

iMac, primary product had hard drive failure.
iMac replacement 1: Mark on side.
iMac replacement 2: Fine.

iPad, primary product came with a dent.
iPad replacement 1: came with another dent.
iPad replacement 2: Fine.

iPhone 5 (2 came by accident).
BOTH HAD MARKS ON?!
Received a replacement that yet again, had a mark on.

So in total, over the last 2 months, my record has been:

3 iMacs
3 iPads
3 iPhone 5s.

Im beginning to think im quite an unlucky person with apple.

Also, I took my MBP into apple 6 weeks ago to be repaired. Been into the apple store 5 times to pick it up and everytime I go to pick it up, they break or scratch something else!

Finally picked it up today, with a 50% off battery replacement. Deal done! Finally.

Hopefully this makes sense.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD ISSUES LATELY?!

:\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would say UNLUCKY mate.

In my household in the last 6weeks i have had a new 2010 13" MBP beautifully fine, iPad3 not a mark on it, iPhone5 white, looks amazing, and a 2011 refurbed 13"MBA still in pristine condition.

Not saying your being pedantic, but where you going over theses products like a fine tooth comb and looking for faults. I feel for you, but ive been happy with what i have had over the last 6 weeks :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad-Core i7. 20GB DDR3 RAM. 2TB 7200RPM HDD, 2GB ATI 6970. 27" 2011. iPad 4th Gen. iPhone 5. MBP 09
Haha, probably. To be fair, for the amount the products actually cost, I consider myself to be quite anal about things. Im just one of those people that finds the tiniest of things a pain in the ****! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Haha, probably. To be fair, for the amount the products actually cost, I consider myself to be quite anal about things. Im just one of those people that finds the tiniest of things a pain in the ****! :D

Yea it can get like that. But in the end, how good and easy was it for you to get those replaced multiple times :)
Apples customer service is second to none. . . . .

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very true :) customer service is definitely a key trait for apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You just have to remember that of the 1 000 000's of items made and delivered there are going to be some rouge products, and just so happens you where unlucky enough to get that batch lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Apple really starting to make a mockery of themselves lately. Or maybe Im just unlucky.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD ISSUES LATELY?!

:\

My vote is unlucky as well.

I would also say that the defects you experienced & acted on…might be the sort of thing other folks might have not bothered with. They might not have liked it…they just figured it was too much trouble to get remedied (they may not live close enough to an Apple Store to make things convenient).

But that being said...you are totally within your rights to get a "pristine" product that you paid good money for.:) I probably would have done the same thing.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Yeah, just unlucky.

That said, I think it's worth bearing in mind that Apple has scaled from a company that made $8B a year to one that makes $35B ($50B expected this quarter) EVERY THREE MONTHS over the past 10 years.

That's a lot of manufacturing going on. As with any mass-manufactured product, the more you make the more are going to be defective (even if the percentage of defects stays the same or goes down). So your odds increase of getting a lemon.

The IMPORTANT thing really is what the company does about it. So far, what you've told us it that Apple keeps trying and does right by you. A cosmetic mark would be a shrug and a "sorry" at most companies, since it doesn't affect the operation of the device.

I haven't bought anything new from Apple since the third-gen iPad, but it was pristine. My wife got an iPhone 4 fairly recently, also flawless. My 2009 MBP just keeps humming along ...

I know returning a defective product can be annoying, but in the end the inconvenience is worth it, I think. I had a pair of headphones from a brand-name that literally split the first time I put them on my (enormous) head. Have a guess at what I got in the way of customer satisfaction on that one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.