closing the lid screen...

Reaction score
I just bought my new macbook 2.4 and Im trying to adjust the settings, but having difficulty sleep option... this is my first time to use mac.

it goes on sleep mode every time I close down the screen lid, is this normal? can I change this setting?

Reaction score
yes this is normal. the only way to fix it is by using a program such as insomniaX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would bet that it gets hotter with the screen closed as to the reason for
sleep mode.

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks guys!! I installed the program and it runs perfectly...

but if I closed the screen will it be turned off? I really do NOT want my laptop to get overheated or worse....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
If you do not wnat your laptop to get overheated, then do not have it running while the screen is closed. It does not matter if the screen is on or not, it can and will still overheat if you have it running witht he lid closed. The heat builds up around the keyboard and will damage your screen and likely your logic board.

Instead, turn off your screen and leave the lid open. That way it can vent properly and not cook your new laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No, it's not going to overheat, stop telling him that. Apple designed the laptops so that they could be used with the lid closed when you have an external screen plugged in. If the company knew that doing so would result in serious damage to your laptop, the feature would not be there. The reason it goes to sleep when you close the lid has nothing to do with heat, it's just one of the design aspects of the laptop.

The only way heat could damage the laptop is if the only means of exhaust was through the keyboard and the sides were all sealed off. Since that's not the case, there is no cause of alarm for a heat buildup when running the laptop with the lid closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
No, it's not going to overheat, stop telling him that. Apple designed the laptops so that they could be used with the lid closed when you have an external screen plugged in. If the company knew that doing so would result in serious damage to your laptop, the feature would not be there. The reason it goes to sleep when you close the lid has nothing to do with heat, it's just one of the design aspects of the laptop.

The only way heat could damage the laptop is if the only means of exhaust was through the keyboard and the sides were all sealed off. Since that's not the case, there is no cause of alarm for a heat buildup when running the laptop with the lid closed.

+1

A lot of people, once connected to their external display close their laptops lids so this is very common and I'm sure Apple has tested this. You can just turn the brightness to zero if you'd like ( I do this sometimes) but don't worry about overheating anything. The way the unibody works as a heat sink alleviates your heating problem as long as you have proper airflow. Just make sure it's not smothered by a pillow or under a blanket on your couch and you will be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
Is there any specific reason you want your computer on while the lid is closed?
I like putting it to sleep (closing the lid) because it gives it a rest for a little bit with out shutting down completely

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
I have the lid closed on my MacBook Pro right now and its hooked up to my 22inch external display, works great, been using it like this for a while now, no adverse affects whats so ever.

Reaction score
I like putting it to sleep (closing the lid) because it gives it a rest for a little bit with out shutting down completely

A lot of people, including myself, don't use their laptop at a desk. I use it on my lap like it was designed to. Often times I use it in bed and would like to go to sleep but have my laptop continue downloading a file or process something. Since i don't use it on a desk my only option is to put it carefully leaning against my wall next to my bed while it continues to do its thing.
As a side note i would like to say i have left my current pc laptop ( soon to be replaced by a unibody macbook pro) on almost 24/7 for over 4 years now and its still running as strong as it was on day one.

OP
N
Reaction score

actually Im downloading stuff all the time, and most of the time my laptop is on me, so when Im moving around the house I dont like to hold it open all the time. I always think that its going to fall down and break into 2 pieces... so its much better for me to close it (the lid) and then move around from living room to bed room etc.... insomnia saved my life!!! :)))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I use it on my lap like it was designed to.
Contrary to popular use and belief, Apple notebooks are not designed to be used on a person's lap (or a pillow, lying in bed, hanging upside-down on the swingset...etc)
Apple said:
Do not place your MacBook on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn.
Important: Do not place your MacBook on a pillow or other soft material when it's powered on, as the material can block the airflow vents (in particular, the rear vents) and cause the computer to overheat.
The bottom of the MacBook case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow, which keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures. In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case.

Apple - Support - MacBook - Care and Handling

OP
N
Reaction score
small question though, if I installed insomniaX and closed down the lid, will the screen be turned off? or will it still be turned on?
do I need to turn it off by clicking down the brightness level until it blacks out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
shutup man

everyone uses their laptop on their lap

Wow...don't think that rudeness is required?

Yes - the majority of people use their notebooks / laptops / macbooks on their lap BUT than does not stop the fact that nearly every large computer company suggest not to use the PC / MB on your lap at all or for extended periods of time. This is noted by going to a computer retailer (Amazon, Play.com etc.) and seeing that under computers you can select notebooks or desktops.

Sure people still use them but companies suggest you don't use them that way. Perhaps you should be a bit more polite next time you reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
small question though, if I installed insomniaX and closed down the lid, will the screen be turned off? or will it still be turned on?
do I need to turn it off by clicking down the brightness level until it blacks out?

i have a late 2006 macbook, with insomnia installed.

i have left it on for hours at a time closed with heats up to 160F with no problems at all of overheating or screen damage.

YES, when you have insomnia installed, your screen stays on. as far as your computer knows, the lid is not closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
Does insomnia work like caffine so is just a toggle? or is there another way to get the mac to stay on while running from an external display with the lid closed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Not that I know of...unless you want to start hacking around in terminal :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
thanks for the reply, oh well insomnia it is, however my machine being awake all the time is not something I would want all the time, so can you turn it off when you dont want it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.