• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Potential Switcher - rookie questions

A

AZMark

Hi - appologies for my TOTAL lack of MAC knowledge!!!

Thinking of switching my old tired desktop PC for a shiny new MacBook Pro 15.4, with 2Gb RAM. My biggest concern is my current investment in PC software. I am an amateur digitial photographer (part of the rationale to switch to a laptop), and currently use the PC version of Photoshop CS2, along with other PC photo utilities.

Questions:
1. Will PC programs run in some sort of "emulation mode" under OS X on an Intel-based platform?
2. If I installed PARALLELS, with a Windows XP instance, would CS2 execute at anywhere near the speed of a Mac version? Would it work well enough to be practical in the field?
3. Data files. I have a LOT of Microsoft Office-based data files. Is there an analog in OS X, which would be able to open PC-based documents?
4. USB 2.0. I have many USB external devices - does the MacBook Pro provide sufficient current to drive most portable drives? Will external drives currently used on my PC be recognized automatically, or will some configuration be required.

I appologize for the "rookie" questions - I'm trying to make sure that a switch is practical for me.

Thank you all in advance....!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Questions:
1. Will PC programs run in some sort of "emulation mode" under OS X on an Intel-based platform?
That would be possible using Parallels.
2. If I installed PARALLELS, with a Windows XP instance, would CS2 execute at anywhere near the speed of a Mac version?
Not really, you would be running under emulation either way, if you used the Windows version under Parallels or if you used the Mac version under Rosetta. CS2 is not Universal yet... so on an Intel machine there is a possibility of some lag and/or delay in those apps as they need to run under emulation.
3. Data files. I have a LOT of Microsoft Office-based data files. Is there an analog in OS X, which would be able to open PC-based documents?
Just use MS Office for Mac. Alternatively, you could any number of the OpenOffice applications out there to run them. There is not such a thing as a PC-based document... if it is created in Office, then it makes no difference what the OS platform is... it is an Office document.
4. USB 2.0. I have many USB external devices - does the MacBook Pro provide sufficient current to drive most portable drives? Will external drives currently used on my PC be recognized automatically, or will some configuration be required.
Chances are that whatever USB devices you have, they will work under OS X. Just plug and play... as opposed to the Windows plug and "pray".

should have asked in the "SWITCHER hangout" section
This is fine here. Technically he hasn't switched yet, so there is no problem with it being in Anything Goes. :black:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
in response to the hard drive issue...

i pulled the ntfs formatted 80G 2.5" HD from my last 17" notebook. it was not partitioned, so it was my boot drive. i mounted this in an adaptec usb case. it works fine attached with only one cable (though it did come with a double ended cable so if you had underpowered usb ports, you coul use two to power one device).

the issue i had was that i couldn't modify or delete files with the ntfs file system; i could access it just fine though. i moved everything i wanted to save off the drive, and reformatted with mac's disk utility as fat32 (so i could still attach it to my work laptop - runs xp pro).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.