• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

How Apple and Google will kill the password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I suppose it depends what kind of security they implement on your phone. Having to scan your fingerprint or a retina scan. Ahhh things of the future how I do love to dream of you. Although most things I dream of will probably come out when i'm old and gray and unable to use the teeny tiny OS's implemented on them let alone understand them anymore. lol :D

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
There's no way this would ever work in a corporate environment, especially one with multiple systems that require their own separate authentication. Some systems like that include off site apps.

I have at least 7 different systems that I have to have passwords for.

And not to mention that not everyone has a cell phone or one that is capable of doing this.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Even with biometrics, what is stoping someone from cleverly stealing your finger prints...or slicing off your finger. >_>? They can do the same with your eye if they wanted if they were desperate enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Even with biometrics, what is stoping someone from cleverly stealing your finger prints...or slicing off your finger. >_>? They can do the same with your eye if they wanted if they were desperate enough.

I saw that in a movie once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

There is always a way around anything, nothing is impossible to get around and probably never will be.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There's no way this would ever work in a corporate environment, especially one with multiple systems that require their own separate authentication. Some systems like that include off site apps.

I have at least 7 different systems that I have to have passwords for.

And not to mention that not everyone has a cell phone or one that is capable of doing this.

That's not necessarily true. Many corporations use some sort of single sign on system. That's what they do where I work. It logs me into all the different applications I need to have access to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I saw that in a movie once.

Demolition Man - classic!

I really don't see how this can be universally implemented to be honest.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I really don't see how this can be universally implemented to be honest.

A lot of people didn't see how a $500 phone could ever become popular. But it did. Just because we can't see how it can be implemented today, does not mean it can't have a future use. Maybe in the future this might be wide spread. WHo knows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Your admins are doing it wrong.

They're controlled by different people and different businesses, not to mention forums I use on top of those for asking work related questions like Utter Access, the MS user forums, and others. I'm doubting that they would collaborate with the government and I know that if the people I work for asked the other businesses to work together so that they could make logging in easier, they probably tell them to GTFO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I know that if the people I work for asked the other businesses to work together so that they could make logging in easier, they probably tell them to GTFO.
Like I said, doing it wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The idea the article creates at the beginning is kind of scary. It's already enough of a security risk losing our smartphones nowadays but if it could do all those things mentioned at the beginning of the article then it would be a gold mine for thieves.

I don't care how secure people say something is. A dedicated thief will find a way around the security. Allowing one device to have so much power and access to everything you do is asking for trouble in my opinion. Even if the criminal can't use your device because of the good security a person wouldn't be able to do much it seems until their device is replaced.

The rest of the article is about passwords and I feel that for people who are good about using strong passwords then the biometric IDs are more of a convenience rather than necessary. I understand that a lot of people choose simple passwords though mostly because they are too lazy to memorize a complex password so biometric ID can be useful for them. Although I still say that it's not a good idea to allow one device to access everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.