iCloud - Screen Synch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I'm looking into getting my first Cloud service -- Dropbox, Carbonite and iCloud.

With iCloud, can you screen synch your Macs? Specifically, if I create a music session in GarageBand and save to my Music folder on iMac, will my MBP pick it up instantly?

I'm thinking of something akin to the iCloud commercial in which a newly downloaded iTunes song instantly synchs to all connected devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I would stick with DropBox. iCloud has its uses, but you can't really exert a fine degree of control over it.

C

chas_m

I'm looking into getting my first Cloud service -- Dropbox, Carbonite and iCloud.

With iCloud, can you screen synch your Macs? Specifically, if I create a music session in GarageBand and save to my Music folder on iMac, will my MBP pick it up instantly?

I'm thinking of something akin to the iCloud commercial in which a newly downloaded iTunes song instantly synchs to all connected devices.

Yes, you can do what you do describe, but as in the commercial, the original file is SAVED to iCloud, and thus available on all your device through iCloud.

iPhoto and iTunes, being Apple-developed programs, can do this automatically, as can a number of other apps. I don't think Garageband can do this automatically but you can have access to the file on any of your devices using either iCloud or Dropbox or Carbonite or something like that. I use Copy(.com) since I get a lot more space with it than I do DB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.