Cannot empty trash due to Snow Leopard?

I

Iamlily

Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, I've been having trouble emptying my trash. I keep getting this error:

"The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items."

I've looked through my trash files but done of them are locked. Also I've used First Aid and repair permissions but that didn't help neither.

I tried to use Onyx but apparently does not work with Snow Leopard. :(

Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Do you have multiple accounts?

Try a different one, with administrator privileges.

Sorry if you are already using one, can't tell from your post.

Reaction score
I had the same problem, (I think) I got round it by holding option and command and then click on delete. It should work. Let me know if it does or doesn't :)

OP
I

Iamlily

Do you have multiple accounts?

Try a different one, with administrator privileges.

Sorry if you are already using one, can't tell from your post.

No I only have one account.

I had the same problem, (I think) I got round it by holding option and command and then click on delete. It should work. Let me know if it does or doesn't :)

I tried that also but it didn't work. :(

OP
T

todd51

Try verifying/reparing the disk permissions through Disk Utiltity. Then restart the computer and try to empty the trash.

Reaction score
Snow Leopard turns on empty trash securely by default. Turn this off in the Finder preferences and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Many thanks, I also had the problem and your solution of pressing control and command worked fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Snow Leopard turns on empty trash securely by default. Turn this off in the Finder preferences and see if that helps.

Not at the mac right now, so forgive me for not looking first. I went to empty my trash over the weekend, and the option to empty trash is not there. Not just greyed out, not there. Is there something in the preferences that will turn that back on? I can secure empty, but that will take forever! I have repaired permissions, restarted, etc., but the option remains missing.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.