Moving files problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 (2015) Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.3 GHz Total Number of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB
I am having a problem saving a file from my desktop to an external hard drive, I try to move / drag it to the ex hard drive but it keeps going back. Anybody any ideas please?:[

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Not sure I understand. Dragging to the external drive should create a copy. Then, if you wish, you can toss the original in the Trash.

Are you saying it won't copy to the external drive? If not, drive may be formatted NTFS (Windows), needs to be formatted Mac OSX or FAT for you to write to it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 (2015) Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.3 GHz Total Number of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB
Not sure I understand. Dragging to the external drive should create a copy. Then, if you wish, you can toss the original in the Trash.

Are you saying it won't copy to the external drive? If not, drive may be formatted NTFS (Windows), needs to be formatted Mac OSX or FAT for you to write to it.
If I do that will I loose all thats on the external hard drive?

Hi, I have formatted the EX hard drive and it now works thanks for the help :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I'd try using NTFS Mounter to mount the volume and try the copy again. Snow Leopard does have the ability to write to NTFS volumes, but it's not enabled by default. You can go into the code and make some changes, but this utility is much simpler.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd try using NTFS Mounter to mount the volume and try the copy again. Snow Leopard does have the ability to write to NTFS volumes, but it's not enabled by default. You can go into the code and make some changes, but this utility is much simpler.

How would I use this ? idiots guide please.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear things are working now.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear things are working now.

This is the first imac I have ever had, I have been using windows for about 10 years so it just getting used to where things and what things are lol

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the first imac I have ever had, I have been using windows for about 10 years so it just getting used to where things and what things are lol

I switched three years ago and still find out something new everyday. But, it's great, isn't it? :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I switched three years ago and still find out something new everyday. But, it's great, isn't it? :)

It is when you realise you can't break it lol....its easer in some things but long winded in some others, well it is I expect until you learn short cuts etc...:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.