opening screens frozen

Reaction score
Since updating to 10.8.2, I've had many opening screens frozen. The only cure is "pulling out the plug" and putting it back. Any suggestions, please.
(*_*)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
That's not really enough info to go on. Need more troubleshooting.
Have you tried booting from the recovery partition and using Disk Utility to repair the drive?
- hold option key down after restart to get the boot volume menu.
Or, a Safe Boot (which also repairs the drive)?
- hold shift key down after restart gong sound, until you see the progress indicator. If no errors are reported, try a normal restart next.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry about the late reply. Yes, I used the disk utility from the recovery partition, and also started with the 10.8 disk and used the disk utility from there. I also used Onyx and CleanMyMac. I will try the shift key test now. Thanx. (*_*)

OP
J
Reaction score
P.S.
I'm not sure this has anything to do with the frozen screen problem - but perhaps?
When I first updated to 10.8 " Contacts" did not have my addresses. After help from Apple support and using Time Machine, I found them again. However, since that time, whenever I open up the iMac, a Text message appears that is in some form of programming language. Many times I cannot quit it and have to restart. It does appear when the screen is frozen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
... a Text message appears that is in some form of programming language. Many times I cannot quit it and have to restart. It does appear when the screen is frozen.

It would be Very unusual for some sort of programming language text to appear. Please, write down the exact message and tell us what it is.

OP
J
Reaction score
There are many pages of stuff. I'm sending the beginning and the end.

bookmark88 $ɧ…µA˘ $ Applications Contacts.app¸∆◊z<LAµŒ Macintosh HDÄ∆◊îA∞6ˆ$46BF72AF-36B0-3E58-8EEB-AE761D4B4315ÅÔ?Ô?/b$icns$bTOC his32s8mkic11

ending with

WÖ@!PÖ@!PÖ@!P<Dj
ÅB†(
ÅB†(
ÅB†(
Åáà¿ˇπj∆Ÿ∑Èç Macintosh HD∆´C∂H+∆¸ Contacts.app◊ÀÜDé Applications∆´{ˆ∆¸ ˇˇ˛ˇˇˇ∞˛

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
OK, that's not a programming language. But it does appear that your contacts file is corrupted.
Did this start happening before or after using CleanMyMac?
I think you're going to end up reinstalling Contacts and re-importing your contacts.
If there's an Apple store nearby, I'd go to them for help.

OP
J
Reaction score
It happened after Apple helped me regain my contacts. Now, my LaCie backup unit does not show up on the finder. Oh well, I'll contact Apple again. Thanks for the help. (*_*)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.