• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to use idvd?

Reaction score
First of all I want to say hello. As you can see I'm a noob here and this is my first post. I know I'll be a regular here beacuse I'm new to Macs and have lots of questions so please be kind. ;D I decided to buy a MAC G6 because I have a ton of VHS home movies I want to convert to DVDs.
My proplem at present is I can't get a file I have in imove to idvd so I can burn it. The documentation I have is so unclear. All it tells me is to click on share and pull file off hard drive in idvd. Not having any luck with that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi!

Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure what Mac you might have (in the G series Macs, there are G3's, G4's, G5's but no G6.)

You can either export the movie from iMovie then import into iDVD, or you can use the media browser function - if you go to share, select media browser, you can use that to save your footage, then within idvd, when you create your project, look at the dropdown on the right of the main screen for iDVD for iMovie, find your project listing there, select it and find your footage (this will only work after you do the share/media browser option in iMovie, otherwise iDVD will show a message showing that no footage has been shared) then you can drag your movie into the menu you are creating on the left of the window in iDVD.

iMovie 09 and iDVD 09 may offer more options of communication between the two apps for a given project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
ksucat, you first have to get your information correctly posted here. I'll have to assume you are running some version of OS X.

For your computer, click on the Apple logo in the upper left hand corner and select 'About This Mac'. A window will pop up stating the version of OS X you are using, and the processor and memory you have. Write that down for us. Now click on the 'More Info...' button and an application called System Profiler will open up. Likely you'll be looking at the top level of the Hardware section. What does the 'Model Name' say?

When you have iMovie open, click on 'About iMovie' under the iMovie menu item. What is the title and what is reported just under the title in the small window that pops up? Mine says "iMovie '09" and "version 8.0.5 (820)". Do the same for iDVD.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks xstep for the suggestion. It is greatly appreciated. Here is the info I found.
I have mac OS X version 10.4.11
Processor 1.83 Ghz core duo
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz
Model ID Mac mini 1.1
IMovie HD 6.0.3

Hi!

Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure what Mac you might have (in the G series Macs, there are G3's, G4's, G5's but no G6.)

You can either export the movie from iMovie then import into iDVD, or you can use the media browser function - if you go to share, select media browser, you can use that to save your footage, then within idvd, when you create your project, look at the dropdown on the right of the main screen for iDVD for iMovie, find your project listing there, select it and find your footage (this will only work after you do the share/media browser option in iMovie, otherwise iDVD will show a message showing that no footage has been shared) then you can drag your movie into the menu you are creating on the left of the window in iDVD.

iMovie 09 and iDVD 09 may offer more options of communication between the two apps for a given project.

Nethfel- Your suggestion was a BIG help. My instructions do not say anything about exporting, just sharing files. Once exported, all went well.
Thanks for you help!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Thanks xstep for the suggestion. It is greatly appreciated. Here is the info I found.
I have mac OS X version 10.4.11
Processor 1.83 Ghz core duo
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz
Model ID Mac mini 1.1
IMovie HD 6.0.3

Looks like you have an early generation Mac mini.

That version of iMovie has a Share menu with an iDVD option under it. That is suppose to allow you to send your project to iDVD which should open and have a menu item setup for your movie. (There is the ability to share only selected clips too, but I've never used that option.)

The Share-->iDVD may take a while, just like the export option would because your project gets converted to something iDVD can read and then convert to MPEG2 for the DVD you will be creating. When that last conversion occurs depends on some settings in iDVD. Depending on the Project settings, it may occur while you are working on your DVD setup, or when you tell iDVD to create a DVD.

If you're going to use the QuickTime export option, choose the Full Quality mode for DVDs, or as you get more experienced, you can try the Expert Settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1
Look at my profile, to the left. It is there because it is useful to responders if/when I ask a question. I recommend you describe your system in your profile. That makes it appear automatically when you post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.