Battery usage tips?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Hello, I was wondering if any of you guys had any tips for healthy battery usage. I am wondering about this because a month or so ago I had to replace the battery in my MBP as a result of failure and I only had the computer since Sept. '06. The cycle count was somewhere in the 80's or 90's, and that seems rather premature. I almost always do the battery calibration every time I use battery power, i.e. start with a full charge, use the computer until the battery runs out and goes to sleep, then charge the battery while it's asleep and not use it until fully charged. Is this a proper way of ensuring good battery health? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Hello, I was wondering if any of you guys had any tips for healthy battery usage. I am wondering about this because a month or so ago I had to replace the battery in my MBP as a result of failure and I only had the computer since Sept. '06. The cycle count was somewhere in the 80's or 90's, and that seems rather premature. I almost always do the battery calibration every time I use battery power, i.e. start with a full charge, use the computer until the battery runs out and goes to sleep, then charge the battery while it's asleep and not use it until fully charged. Is this a proper way of ensuring good battery health? Thanks!

here is some good info

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

"Tips for maximizing your Notebook battery charge"

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50666

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Thanks for the links! I suppose my question is more aimed at the longevity of the battery, i.e. how many years I should expect it to last before I need to replace it as opposed to the usual hints for getting more life out of a single charge, such as dimming the monitor and turning off/quitting out of what you don't need. To the best of my understanding, it is best to cycle between periods of AC power and battery power to keep it healthy and to charge the battery only when it has completely drained. Does that sound accurate? Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.