• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple offers a sneak peek at new Mac Pro at WWDC 2013

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
9.9" tall by 6.6" wide? Wow!!! That's really impressive for that much computing power!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I must say that my current iMac is more than powerful enough for my most demanding need (doing 2D CAD using AutoCAD 2012 in VMWare Fusion on Win8) but this new Mac Pro looks absolutely incredible!

The design is just so unique and yet they haven't really compromised on anything - aside from PCIe slots. Also a lot of talk about it being able to drive multiple 4K displays, wonder if there will be a new Apple Cinema Display with a 4K resolution on the horizon for it?

If they do I would be seriously tempted to bite the bullet and trade the iMac in for one. The machine is a work of art and props to Apple for making it entirely in the US!!!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
12 core Xeon processor!

I'll just leave it at that..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Of course details on the Mac Pro are few & far between at this point. But from what I've seen so far...the new Mac Pro sounds like a "Super Mac-Mini"!;)

Very very powerful...but much less expandable & upgradable than the old Mac Pro. We shall see as more info becomes available.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Seems to be the way Nick doesn't it?

Since upgrading from mac Pro to iMac not at all disappointed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Of course details on the Mac Pro are few & far between at this point. But from what I've seen so far...the new Mac Pro sounds like a "Super Mac-Mini"!;)

Very very powerful...but much less expandable & upgradable than the old Mac Pro. We shall see as more info becomes available.:)

It's perfectly expandable over Thunderbolt. There are TB boxes for PCI cards, so anything can be tossed into those. And from what I've read from comments by a couple professionals, their storage needs grows faster than anything else, so an external TB RAID array makes more sense vs having internal HDD bays, plus a RAID array is portable and can be moved easily to another workstation if need be.

You can't upgrade the internal graphics cards, but good grief! Considering what it can do now, would anyone NEED to in the near future? Another point someone else made elsewhere... this thing is about the size of an SGI workstation, and those were no more upgradable/expandable than the new Mac Pro. If anything, Thunderbolt makes the new Mac Pro more expandable.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's perfectly expandable over Thunderbolt. There are TB boxes for PCI cards, so anything can be tossed into those. And from what I've read from comments by a couple professionals, their storage needs grows faster than anything else, so an external TB RAID array makes more sense vs having internal HDD bays, plus a RAID array is portable and can be moved easily to another workstation if need be.

What you mentioned may be right on the mark.:)

I probably should have been more specific in my earlier post. What I should have said was..."Very very powerful...but much less internally expandable & upgradable than the old Mac Pro."

If anything, Thunderbolt makes the new Mac Pro more expandable.

Again...maybe so. But Thunderbolt has been out for a little over 2 years now...and I've really seen very very little mainstream implementation of Thunderbolt devices by the average user. About the only device that we commonly hear about in everyday conversation regarding "Thunderbolt" is the 27" Thunderbolt display. And even this device isn't going to be in the average Apple computer owners home...due to the steep $999 price tag.

I realize that other Thunderbolt devices exist...but the average Apple computer user is not using or purchasing them.

Also...if "Apple history" teaches us anything...Apple has come out with all sorts of different port types over the years...and has done away with them just as quickly. I can make a list almost as long as my arm of port types that Apple has experimented with...and then did away with them.

Given that Thunderbolt has been around for 2 years (with very little implementation by the common user)...I wouldn't be surprised to see Thunderbolt ports disappearing!:eek:

But maybe the new Mac Pro will help change this.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If anything, Thunderbolt makes the new Mac Pro more expandable.

Again...maybe so. But Thunderbolt has been out for a little over 2 years now...and I've really seen very very little mainstream implementation of Thunderbolt devices by the average user. About the only device that we commonly hear about in everyday conversation regarding "Thunderbolt" is the 27" Thunderbolt display. And even this device isn't going to be in the average Apple computer owners home...due to the steep $999 price tag.

Well by "more expandable", I meant in comparison to an SGI workstation.

I realize that other Thunderbolt devices exist...but the average Apple computer user is not using or purchasing them.

The average user simply has no real need for Thunderbolt. But the new Mac Pro isn't for the average user either. If professionals really do take to the new Mac Pro, then I'd expect more TB peripherals to follow. I think there are enough options now to get what they need using TB now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The average user simply has no real need for Thunderbolt.

This is exactly my point...and I'm glad we agree on it!:)

Which means (for the last 2 years)...the inclusion of Thunderbolt ports on Mac-Mini's, MacBook Pro's, and iMac's has really not been necessary. And for folks that have Thunderbolt Display's...they could still be using the old mini-display port 27" display.:)

AND...if the average user has no real need for Thunderbolt...then Apple should certainly remove the Thunderbolt port on Mac-Mini's, MacBook Pro's, and iMac's...and give us a port that the average user can make use of.:)

But the new Mac Pro isn't for the average user either. If professionals really do take to the new Mac Pro, then I'd expect more TB peripherals to follow. I think there are enough options now to get what they need using TB now.

Again...maybe so. But then we have to consider the issue of "economies of scale". Companies won't produce more TB peripherals just for Mac Pro's if they cannot make a lot of them to make a decent profit.

Or...they would not produce very many of them (small production runs)...and charge the Mac Pro owners who want them...very very high prices.

We shall see.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually I just remembered. On the positive side for Thunderbolt and the "average user"...the Thunderbolt port is also backwards compatible with the mini-display port. So the Thunderbolt port on Mac-Mini's, iMac's, MacBook Pro's, and MacBook Air's is still useful as a video-out port for external displays.

And...if one of these "average-users" does decide to "splurge" for a different sort of Thunderbolt device...they still have that option as well.

So I guess we continue to keep the Thunderbolt port for a while...and see what happens!:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Apple - Mac Pro

I am sure many will salivate over it but I do not like it. It's not a true Pro machine to me. Sorry.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am sure many will salivate over it but I do not like it. It's not a true Pro machine to me. Sorry.

I don't mind so much that it will be smaller & lighter. But it was Apple's last computer model to be a truly internally expandable/upgradeable computer. Which it is always nice to have everything INSIDE of the computer.

With the new Mac Pro's design (if it's designed to have all of it's expansion OUTSIDE of the computer via Thunderbolt)...then a person's desktop can get all cluttered with expansion devices. But then it depends on how much expanding/upgrading a person does.

I think that running multiple monitors is one thing many folks with Mac Pro's like to do in terms of expandability...and I think that I read that the new Mac Pro is capable of running 3 monitors simultaneously out of the box. So that's a pretty cool feature.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I'm a little on the fence on this machine. My first thought was, well the cube was a bad idea, why is it a good idea now?

That aside, I'm not really loving the cylindrical design. The thing is, most real pros I know, ones that want to put real $$ for a pro, don't care -that- much about cutting edge design, and certainly not one that makes it less expandable on the inside. I think, for now, that may be a bit of a mistake. Pro users will balk at having to put out more hundreds (plenty) for external chassis for cards etc. So, I'm not sold that this is a great idea.

I see a whole lotta mac guys on another mac forum really putting this machine down. I wonder what the final reaction will be.

-I- might love one, but I'm not a total video pro etc after expensive high end video cards etc. That's not exactly what I thought mac pros were for... people like me.

thunderbolt however, I love it, mainly because the 2 I have, can be whatever port I like (with an adapter if needed) I love the expandability and options thunderbolt has. I think, it may be here to stay, but just faster generations that are backwards compatible.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a little on the fence on this machine. My first thought was, well the cube was a bad idea, why is it a good idea now?

Ahh...another great analogy!:)

The new Mac Pro is either a "Super Mac-Mini"...or the reincarnation of the Mac Cube!;)

If the new Mac Pro has an external power supply (like both the Mac-Mini and Mac Cube have/had)...then we are definitely talking more similarities than differences.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick, looking at the insides on that Apple page I have a feeling the Power Supply is external.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, looking at the insides on that Apple page I have a feeling the Power Supply is external.

I didn't see the photos...but I had a strong idea the PS would be external. Definitely one way to make the Mac Pro small & reduce heat buildup.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
external? Say it ain't so. C'mon Apple!!

My disdain for the pro aside, I did really like the preview of Maverick. Great name too!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.