Fusion dual monitor mouse problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GHz, 4MB RAM
I'm running a 3.06 iMac with 4g of ram and Nvidia 8800 v card. I have XP Home running in Fusion on a virtual partition. I have attached a Samsung T190 monitor to use mainly with AutoCAD. I'm using a Logitech MX518 mouse configured with Steermouse.

It runs perfect in Mac and in PC when not in full screen. The problems arise when I switch to full screen and stretch the PC window to both monitors. At first the mouse was so gittery when in the second monitor that it was virtually unusable. After searching for an hour or so I found that if I dial the slider in the hardware accerlation box in XP back one click it corrected the gitteriness for the most part.

Now my problem is the interface between the two monitors. The second monitor is located on the right. When I transition from left to right monitor, I have two intermittent problems.

First, the mouse won't go to the second monitor. Instead, when I get to the transition it either gets bounced to the center of the main screen or kicked all the way over to the left side of the main monitor.

The second problem is just as annoying. I can transition between the two monitors easily enough, but every so often when I transition, the mouse is sudden transported to the opposite side of the main screen.

These issues are very frustrating and negate any advantage a second monitor offers in CAD use. I tried downloading the Logitech drivers (Setpoint) to the PC side. But, when I run the program, it doesn't recognize the mouse. I also when through all of the different slider setting in the hardware accelration configuration in XP with no improvement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
Hmm, not sure about this but what about the setup or dual monitors in xp. Even though its going threw your mac there maybe something you can adjust in there to fix it. Only thing I can think of :Oops:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Knowing how critical graphics are when using Cad, I don't understand why you chose to run it in a VM rather than natively from Windows via Boot Camp? All your difficulties would probably be resolved concerning the mouse and dual monitors.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GHz, 4MB RAM
I'm certainly not totally against Bootcamp, I just feel like what is going on is a minor glitch with a simple fix. I just can't figure it out.

We use Bootcamp at work. Adobe Photoshop and Indesign and MS Office are in Mac. And, of course, CAD is in PC. I'm constantly rebooting from one to the other. It's a pain in the butt, but I deal with it. Fusion did not work well for us at work on a large server based network. But, at home it worked perfectly for CAD until I plugged in the second monitor. It's not any slower with the second monitor, so I'm skeptical to think it's strictly graphics related. I'm thinking more along the lines of the mouse driver translation from Mac to PC through Steer Mouse. I wish Setpoint would work in PC. Better yet, I wish Logitech would make Mac drivers for the MX518. I don't have Adobe at home and I have Office in PC, so it would be less rebooting than at work. I'm just sold on Macs and don't want to go back if I can avoid it.

I do not have a physical partition on the hard drive. It is virtual through Fusion. Is it possible to install Bootcamp and use the Fusion virtual partition to set up the real partition in Bootcamp. So, I won't have to reinstall everything, and go through the whole re-activation process and update hassle?

Robert

Reaction score
I'm certainly not totally against Bootcamp, I just feel like what is going on is a minor glitch with a simple fix. I just can't figure it out.

We use Bootcamp at work. Adobe Photoshop and Indesign and MS Office are in Mac. And, of course, CAD is in PC. I'm constantly rebooting from one to the other. It's a pain in the butt, but I deal with it. Fusion did not work well for us at work on a large server based network. But, at home it worked perfectly for CAD until I plugged in the second monitor. It's not any slower with the second monitor, so I'm skeptical to think it's strictly graphics related. I'm thinking more along the lines of the mouse driver translation from Mac to PC through Steer Mouse. I wish Setpoint would work in PC. Better yet, I wish Logitech would make Mac drivers for the MX518. I don't have Adobe at home and I have Office in PC, so it would be less rebooting than at work. I'm just sold on Macs and don't want to go back if I can avoid it.

I do not have a physical partition on the hard drive. It is virtual through Fusion. Is it possible to install Bootcamp and use the Fusion virtual partition to set up the real partition in Bootcamp. So, I won't have to reinstall everything, and go through the whole re-activation process and update hassle?

Robert

First off I don't use CAD, but I do use Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate and had problems. I reduced yes reduced the amount of RAM in the VM settings. I also found that using 1 processor also helped. It is worth a try. I have a Benq as my second monitor, and it is a 19". I use 1500 for the RAM setting in VM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.