13" Pro, i5 or i7?

Reaction score
I am looking for a new macbook pro. I am not sure if the i7 is worth the upgrade or not. I am currently using bootcamp to run Windows 7. I NEED to be able to run Win 7. I use it for a tuning program in order to recalibrate "computers" on vehicles. I have been told that the i7 has problems with bootcamp. Is this true? I currently use a 2.26 macbook (with 4G of ram). I am not a gamer and I don't store much on my computer. I used it multiple times per day for random internet use or tuning automobiles. The smaller 13" computer is more portable when tuning vehicles, so I don't want the 15 or 17" computers. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
You will see almost no improvement of the i7 over the i5. Go for the i5 and use the saving for an SSD if you are into that.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
the i7 has no issues with bootcamp.

You will see a difference using an i7, but only if you are using multi-threaded applications. if you arent, go for the i5.

OP
C
Reaction score
I honestly do not know exactly what an SSD is? Does it completely replace the hardrive that is in the computer (meaning, do you take one out and then put a new SSD in?). I would love faster start-up times and faster loading times for applications if it was not terribly expensive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I honestly do not know exactly what an SSD is? Does it completely replace the hardrive that is in the computer (meaning, do you take one out and then put a new SSD in?). I would love faster start-up times and faster loading times for applications if it was not terribly expensive.

An SSD (or Solid State Disk) is like a hard disk with no moving parts. Since you don't have to wait for the heads to find data on the disk, it's an order of magnitude faster than your typical hard disk. Also, since it's not mechanical, it should prove to be much more reliable... although SSDs have issues of their own, particularly with the amount of write-cycles you can do. Even still, the firmware in most of the better drives have wear-leveling algorithms which should prove to make the drive much more reliable than any mechanical drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
I guess I am confused if this disk just plugs into your computer or do you need to remove the back and it is placed internally?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I am confused if this disk just plugs into your computer or do you need to remove the back and it is placed internally?

It's installed inside the computer (which is not rocket science). It would replace your main hard disk.

OP
C
Reaction score
I appreciate your help! Do you know what these SSD's cost on average for a quality one? Thanks again.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate your help! Do you know what these SSD's cost on average for a quality one? Thanks again.

a 60GB on Amazon costs about £80.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it will be replacing a 320GB hard drive, why would you suggest only a 60GB one?

Probably because an SSD with that kind of capacity is going to be out of reach for so many people. If you look at OWC, their 240GB drive (which is actually quite competitively priced) is running around $460. The next step up is 500GB, which is $879.

Reaction score
Sounds like a Macbook Air, or even an iPad might better meet your needs. Maximum portability and built in SSD. If the iPad will run your app, consider waiting for the 3rd generation iPad late this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
He needs to run Windows 7, I doubt that the iPad will allow you to boot that OS ;)

I seriously just don't see a requirement for an SSD for most users. Is it quick? Yep, it sure is. Is it expensive? Yep, it's that too. Will it really effect anything other than startup and application launch for most people? Probably not.

At least, this is my opinion on the issue (and I'll wait till I can get a reasonably priced SLC device before I go that route anyway ;) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Honestly, what I would do is buy the base i7 model with the base memory and hdd space. That way, you can upgrade the regular hdd on your own to a 7200rpm drive...which will mean you now have 2 drive instead of one(upgrading it from Apple). Then, if you want, you can upgrade to a ssd in the future, and have other drives to use as backups.

If you have the means, get the best processor your wallet can handle. Do worry about the ram, 4gb's is more than fine for the average user. There actually is a great difference between the 2.3ghz-i5 and the 2.7-i7. At idle, the i7 already beats it. With the i7's turbo-boost mode at 3.4ghz, it's a no brainer that it will handle just about everything faster.

There are also other reasons to consider the i7: It comes with 4mb L3 cache instead of the 3mb of the i5. The hdd already comes stock at 500gb, as opposed to the 320gb of the i5.

I have a feeling that if you didn't know much about the ssd, you can do without it until the prices come down a way bit.

The MacBook Air, while a very nice computer, is also limiting in terms of changing the hdd, and ram. Although people do use it as their sole computer, it's not really meant to be the sole computer for all daily use.

I would either go for an i7, or wait until the back to school program starts. That way, you can recoup some of your money back.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it will be replacing a 320GB hard drive, why would you suggest only a 60GB one?

as cwa107 said, SSDs are really expensive at them minute, and capacities are low.

most guys save money on the SSD by only buying a 60GB (enough for the OS and essential apps) and store stuff on a second hard drive (either internal or external.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.