Safari isn't as fast as lord jobs promised?

Gav

Reaction score
I've a Intel Core Duo (Not Core 2 Duo) 1.83Ghz iMac, 512MB Ram too.

So I was thinking.

Mail
Safari
iTunes
Firefox

The above are all slow to load. I'm disappointed about Safari. Jobsy always brags that Safari loads REALLY quickly. I don't call 7 Seconds quick. Also Firefox takes about 20.

Any ideas guys?

Reaction score
lord jobs. lol

Dude seriously you should have at least 2 gigs of ram. More ram the better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Upgrade your R.A.M and you'll notice a big difference!

Yes, this will help and it also depends on your service. I still have 1g of ram and it loads super fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Upgrade in RAM will do the trick

Hi Gav,

I think an upgrade in RAM will do the trick for you. I have 2 Gig and I swear Safari must load in under 2 seconds and Firefox is almost as soon as I click the icon. For what it is worth my Internet service is Comcast cable modem through my Linksys rounter. Using various download test, I average around 5 Mb download speed and 364 Kb upload.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
To speed up MAIL (makes it VERY, VERY quick to open) copy/paste the following command in the Terminal (followed by pressing ENTER)

sqlite3 ~/Library/Mail/Envelope\ Index vacuum subjects;

After doing that.. press CTRL+D to end the Terminal session.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
in addition to RAM, make sure u empty ur cache and clear ur history...those things can bog down ur browser.
Ride, wat exactly does the command do to mail to make it so fast?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I fired up my Core Duo Mini and it's still stock with 512Megs RAM. With iTunes playing and a Network file copy in progress, Safari opened in one bounce and 2 seconds total to the home page being displayed (including the bounce). Faster than anything on my XP box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
To speed up MAIL (makes it VERY, VERY quick to open) copy/paste the following command in the Terminal (followed by pressing ENTER)

Thanks for that Ride...

I have noticed that safari has slowed considerably of late. I have run Onyx, cleared caches etc. Sometimes the progress indicator gets almost to the end of the bar and seems to just stop. Then I hit the stop (X) button and the page suddenly loads?? Any ideas??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Sometimes the progress indicator gets almost to the end of the bar and seems to just stop. Then I hit the stop (X) button and the page suddenly loads?? Any ideas??

I get that too. But only when I'm on here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
RIDE, what exactly does this do? Magic incantations like this always make me nervous...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I does seem to be the M-F pages now that you mention it...Thanks Netty

What that seems to be is the adds on the forums. Sometimes the Add Server pauses and makes the page not load all the way. I have checked the activity log in Safari and every time I have had that issue it was an add that was holding things up.

Just a heads up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yes, it's the ad server. I started a thread about that a while back. The ad server is using javascript to create html. So if the ad server locks up, your page will stop loading. Since it's javascript and not an image, you can't block it. Bummer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Still waiting to hear what this does...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.