Macintosh PRAM Batteries

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's a little experience I had that I thought some folks would find interesting...while I was doing some shopping for PRAM batteries.

I first went to a website called "WeLoveMacs.com" looking for one of the "flat" PRAM batteries used in Mac-Mini's, newer iMacs, and Mac Pro's. "WeLoveMacs" sells them for $29.95.

922-6476 Apple Mac Mini & G5 PRAM Battery (Lithium 3v), Apple Mac and iPod Accessories

I was like "OH MY GOD" are they insane! I was used to paying $4.95 for the PRAM batteries used in older Macs (the ones that are shaped like a short stubby AA battery)...and thought $29.95 for the newer style "flat" PRAM battery was CRAZY!

I then went to one of my favorite Macintosh suppliers OWC/MacSales to shop for the same PRAM battery...and they were selling them for $1.99!

3v Newer Technology Lithium CR2032 coin cell PR... (CR2032) at OWC

I thought "What a difference"...$29.95 vs. $1.99!

So I decided to e-mail "We Love Macs"...and see what the deal was with their HIGH price. They responded by saying that they purchase these "flat" PRAM batteries from Apple for $22.99, and then they mark them up to $29.95.

They said that they didn't realize that these "flat" PRAM batteries could be purchased cheaper somewhere else...seems one of their employees went to Radio Shack, and verified that these "flat" batteries (the same as Apple supplies) can be purchased for $1.99.

So long story short...hopefully they will purchase these "PRAM" batteries from a lower cost supplier in the future (other than Apple).

Of course this little experience/story also reinforces that everyone should definitely shop around before making a purchase.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Thanks for the heads up, thats quite a difference in price!

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the heads up, thats quite a difference in price!

Yeah...there were some questions about PRAM batteries in another forum, and I needed a new PRAM battery for one of my Mac's...so I investigated...and found the BIG difference in price!

I couldn't believe when I saw it! It pays to comparison shop.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In fact if you day a search of say eBay quoting the Lithium battery and number, you can get the for $1.95 a card at times. It is called marketing and everyone who handles the good adds their profit margin, sales taxes etc.

These batteries are used in a great number of watches and appliances.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.