• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Nigerian Scams

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Has Anyone Ever Been Offered A Large Sum Of Money For An Item That Isnt Worth That Much?
I Have Been Trying To Sell My Canon Rebel Xt And Was Offered 650 Dollars For The Body. They Sent Me A Pending Payment And Asked For Shipping Tracking First. I Know That They Can Cancel The Transaction After I Ship It So It Seems Like A scam!! to Me!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What service are you using for the payment?

OP
Mjc.americor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
paypal.
they wanted the tracking details before the payment will clear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Has Anyone Ever Been Offered A Large Sum Of Money For An Item That Isnt Worth That Much?
I Have Been Trying To Sell My Canon Rebel Xt And Was Offered 650 Dollars For The Body. They Sent Me A Pending Payment And Asked For Shipping Tracking First. I Know That They Can Cancel The Transaction After I Ship It So It Seems Like A scam!!to Me!

Sounds like a scam to me. Nigeria is a big cesspool for scams. I've seen it happen to many of my friends. Usually what they try to do send you a check for the item plus a whole lot more and ask you to send them money back in return. So if you happen to ship the item AND the money shortly after, they will basically be getting your merchandise and the money from the floated check and you'd be out for the amount of the kited check.

Usually they wlll give you some story like a relative/friend wrote them a check to buy something and have no means to cash the check so they would be willing to just fill in your name and send it to you so you can cash it and send back the difference.

But in your case they are trying to get you to send the item so they can cancel the transaction before it posts so basically they get your merchandise for free.

Don't fall for it!!!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
this site should give you some good background for what to look for, and some truely hillarious anti-scam scams.

http://www.419eater.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook
I had this happen when I was trying to sell something a while back. Make sure that you receive your money BEFORE you ship the item, and make sure that the money is out of Paypal and into your personal account (or cash in your hands) before you think of shipping. I've read many stories where Paypal has reversed the funds because there were problems with them and the person has shipped the item and is out both the item and his money.

If you have a bad feeling about something, or it seems too good to be true, it most of the time is bad. Go with your gut.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
It's a scam, I had this happen to me when trying to sell a Powerbook. It was the same scenario. Report it if you can.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with everyone else. I would almost bet it's a SCAM. I have seen so many scams from Nigeria. I used to see them weekly at one point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
whats with Nigeria? I mean is it something they normally do there? Try to steal money over the internet?

That's what I always think... why is it almost always Nigeria?

Reaction score
I am trying to sell my psp, and have had 3 people interested. All of them pretty have the same back story, they are somewhere else, buying it for someone else. One person was going to pay me an extra $100 for shipping and the other was going to pay me $260 when I am only asking $180 for everything. I always said when I receive money it will go out, and I also mentioned something about these scams and only making sure it is legit. Funny how everytime I mentioned the word scam, they never contacted me again.

Reaction score
This is the sort of guy your dealing with :D

fonejacker.jpg

Anyone who has seen the fonejacker in the UK will know who he is, for everybody else...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipna2lJm038

:D

Reaction score
Never mail anything before the Pending Payment is actually cleared. I would just cancel their payment and not deal with that type of transaction at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo Black MacBook
yeh, i've gotten emails about people leaving me large sums of money in their wills... Don't ever reply to that crap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
whats with Nigeria? I mean is it something they normally do there? Try to steal money over the internet?

Its a huge issue out there, but they don't see it as a crime as such, just getting money out of stupid rich westerners

And they don't have computers, just Internet cafes, you can always get them by insisting they download an image or file, they are in Internet Cafes and will always come up with some excuse why they cannot download the huge file you have just sent them (they pay for bandwidth)

Refuse to send the item unless payment clears, if they kick up a fuss, report them to ebay and then ignore all future communication from them

If they insist on harassing you, turn any details over to 419 eaters and thay will take over the job of turning the tide on them, they know what they are doing.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
my wife just got a good one last week, it was supposedly from ebay, saying payment was pending on some chilean bank notes.

obviously we will not be contacting "ebay" with that payment. ;P

Reaction score
I've been attacked with a scam. Selling a PowerBook. Lady said she was from a university in Texas. You'd never think it was a scam until shipping and payment came up. Her typing got very messy and I kept asking if she could pay me in paypal...every time she just said PLEASE ACCEPT MY OFFER and upped it. Then in one she gave me an address in Africa and she asked where to mail the cash to. I told her I only take paypal and I don't ship to africa one more time and she just didn't respond. This was on craigslist.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've been attacked with a scam. Selling a PowerBook. Lady said she was from a university in Texas. You'd never think it was a scam until shipping and payment came up. Her typing got very messy and I kept asking if she could pay me in paypal...every time she just said PLEASE ACCEPT MY OFFER and upped it. Then in one she gave me an address in Africa and she asked where to mail the cash to. I told her I only take paypal and I don't ship to africa one more time and she just didn't respond. This was on craigslist.

Well, if she's willing to pay cash, I wouldn't have a problem with it - providing you have it in your hand before shipment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THe cash, like their checks will certainly be forged

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.