Big Problem ! Blue Screen in XP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 1GBRAM / 120GB HD
I have a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo.

I had installed XP with bootcamp and did not have any sound driver so as per a post in this forum, I tried reinstalling the windows.
Now when the setup was in somewhere in the middle it asked me if I want to overwrite the disk where another OS is already there. I got confused if it was Mac or the previous Windows... I couldn't afford a risk there. So I decided to quite.
Now whenever I open windows XP partition it loads 2 options -

- Windows XP professional
- Windows XP professional setup

Now I can't choose any of the option as the keyboard doesn't seem to respond. So it automatically loads the setup which leads to a Blue Screen error .

------

- Is there any way I can remove the current installation and install a fresh copy ? There is no option to Delete the windows files from the partition while in Mac OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
If you're seeing a blue screen error at that point, it's likely driver related. You can:
1. Reformat the Windows part of the drive and start over.
OR
2. Boot and write down the driver that is referred to in the error (assuming that I'm right), boot up with a Linux live CD (Knoppix, Insert, etc...) and rename the driver (in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers) and reboot into the Windows Setup area- you should be able to continue on.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could you please let me know how to format the windows partition ?
I tried the bootcamp option in mac but the format option was not selectable.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First, if you are going to install XP, you really, really need to print out the Boot Camp Installation and Setup guide.

If I am understanding your description, you tried a 2nd install of XP from within Boot Camp (if you tried to re-install from inside windows or by booting off the XP cd, it will not work), then cancelled the installation, and are now trying to boot to your previous install on the hard drive.

If this is the case, you need to go back to boot camp and you have 2 options,
1) Re-install XP following directions in the setup guide - have it in your hand - it is during the install that you will be presented with the option of partitioning your windows partition. This is done by windows during the install process, not by Boot Camp.
2) Delete windows and go back to OS X on the entire drive - this is explained in detail on page 18 of the install guide "Removing Windows from You Computer"

Would strongly suggest you print this out, read it in it's entirety, have a basic understanding prior to doing anything else and follow along comparing your computer screen to the guide as you go. You don't want to blow up your OS X install.

Just as an FYI: had windows blue screen almost at the end of the driver install and automatically re-boot. Only about half the drivers had installed correctly. I just ran the driver disk a 2nd time - which normally you would not want to do without first removing drivers already installed, but it worked and have not seen any issues related to any of the drivers which were installed twice.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, when I open bootcamp there are 3 options
- Burn a Macintosh Drivers CD
- Start the windows installer
- Restore the startup disk to a single volume.

There is no re-install option .

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Choose #3 and restore it back to normal. Then start bootcamp over again after the reboot and install.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
-Start the windows installer

Just pretend you have not already installed windows and go through the entire install process following the guide - this will "re-install"

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your help .. I have reinstalled windows, but still no sound. :/

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you installed the Mac drivers from the CD you made when first running boot camp? You will have no sound untill this is done.
Also, what version of windows are you installing?

Is there a specific application you are using that does not have sound?

I am assuming you are just using the integrated speakers, not external speakers you have connected. What have you done so far to try to get sound - so that I am not giving you a bunch of useless info you have already tried. Such as:

1) double click on the volume icon in the system tray, increase volume to max, increase wave volume to max, make sure there is no check mark in the mute box.

2) Click Start - Control Panel, on left side of window click on Swith to Classic view - then Sounds and Audio Devices
On the Volume tab -
Under Device Volume - move slider all the way to the right
make sure there is no check mark in the mute button
put a check in Show volume icon in the task bar
Under Speaker Settings at the bottom - click the Advanced button
under Speaker setup at the bottom - click the arrow and select Laptop stereo speakers - Click Apply at bottom and Click OK

You are now back at the volume tab - Click on the Speaker volume button and move both of the sliders to about 3/4 of the way to the right - Click ok

Now click on the Sounds tab at the top
In the white Program Events box - highlight (click one time) on Asterisk
Below this, there will be a gray button with a right facing arrow - if you hover your pointer over it a popup will come up and it says Play Sound - click this button - you should hear it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
-Start the windows installer

Just pretend you have not already installed windows and go through the entire install process following the guide - this will "re-install"

but it will also leave the 2 XP options, your best bet is to clear it out and start from scratch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.