iMac and upgrading graphics card.

Reaction score
Hello

I'm pretty new to theese forums but I was wandering about how it is with upgrading the graphics on the iMac 24", since that is the only thing that holds me back for buying one at this moment.

Know its possible to do so, but within what measures is the question :)

Was thinking about taking my ATI 1950xtx and replace the current 2600Pro with, but what is the requirement to minimum heat produced, aswell as possible space if the graphics card would have 'abit' larger dimensions.

If anybody have any experience with this I would be glad to hear from you.

Kind Regards
Dennis Villadsen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If you want the short answer, the answer is it's not possible. The long answer, it's possible but very unlikely and you're not going to it with any video card. You'd need to find a micro graphics card becacuse the standard ones won't fit for obvious reasons. This graphics card must support OS X if you want to run OS X. No one mass produces these micro graphics cards so their super hard to find (I've never seen one) and they'd super expensive.
Trust me, it's just not going to happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Without a doubt this is the biggest flaw with the iMac. I have the top end model, and the graphics card is just a joke, it really lets it down on the gaming side of things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Without a doubt this is the biggest flaw with the iMac. I have the top end model, and the graphics card is just a joke, it really lets it down on the gaming side of things.

Even with BootCamp, Macs are still designed only around OS X. Since there are only a handful of games for Mac, there is no need for Apple to stay on the bleeding edge of the video game genre. If your main interest is in gaming, a PC is the obvious choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.