• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

This is getting ridiculous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
-1st my powerbook gets trashed by a random drunk person (Got a macbook)
-2nd my Job fires me (I got my job back though.)
-3rd I got a BS speeding ticket
-4th My school payment got messed up so I didn't get the classes I needed.
-5th I'm still waiting for this stupid laptop (Thanks for the help guys, I really DO appreciate the advice.)
NOW...if I hadn't had enough BS in the past 2 weeks, my dad says this to me:
Dad: "We have a problem."
Me: "What?" (Thinking to myself, oh god what now...)
Dad: "When Robin (His gf) gets Cameron (Her 13 y/o son) back, you're gonna have to share your room with him."
Me: *Long pause* "Oh."
Dad: " What's the matter?"
Me: "My room is 13' by 16'. How are you going to get two beds in there?"
Dad: "Well we'll just get two full sized beds."
*Long, long silence*
Dad: " My brother and I had to do it for 18 years!!"
Me: "Ok."
Dad: " Well it's just one thing at a time, we'll add on to the house too so he has his own room."
*Long silence*
Now look, before you think I'm a spoiled brat...If I still lived in Rhode Island, I wouldn't have a problem with it. (I had a decent sized room in RI.) I need my sleep almost as much as I always need to be eating food. I have IBS so sleep is imperative to me. #2. Ok, my room is tiny as it is. I have 10 tarantulas in here, a desk with the emac in here, a bureau and two speakers which pretty much fill up the whole room. There is practically no space whatsoever in here...And now you're telling me you're gonna bring someone else in here? I can't even fit myself in here. #3. I'm 23 okay. I'm not 14, 15,16...I intend to bring women over...Can you imagine that? " Oh yeah, I don't even have my own FRILLY PINK room....Right yeah that's great. If this is the case, I just might get my liberal arts degree in the spring and move back up to Rhode Island because this is just outrageous. And look I'm not trying to sound spoiled, my dad's gf misses her kid...But c'mon..I don't think they're being fair or realistic here.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Oh, and I haven't said anything because I don't want to look like a spoiled little brat, you know? I don't want to look like the bad guy. I don't pay for anything (Food, rent, etc.) so why would I say anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I know how you feel, while I did share a room with my brother for several years, I had my own room for several years after that and even though I had a decent sized room it would have been difficult for me to adjust to a roommate. Other than moving out, I guess there's really nothing you can do except put up with it until the time does come that you can move out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook White 2GB RAM
That just seems like a very awkward situation. 10 tarantulas...? Wow.

You probably should get your degree and move out though; maybe this is a sign that it's time to get out of your dad's house.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think you shouldn't say anything because like you said it's your dad's house. You aren't paying for anything.

If you don't like it, move out.

I'm the same age as you and I moved out when I was 18. I have an older brother and a twin sister and I didn't like living in a crowded house.

Suck it up and finish school and move back to RI.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you shouldn't say anything because like you said it's your dad's house. You aren't paying for anything.

If you don't like it, move out.

I'm the same age as you and I moved out when I was 18. I have an older brother and a twin sister and I didn't like living in a crowded house.

Suck it up and finish school and move back to RI.

Yup that's what I was thinking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
#3. I'm 23 okay. I'm not 14, 15,16...I intend to bring women over...Can you imagine that? " Oh yeah, I don't even have my own FRILLY PINK room....Right yeah that's great. If this is the case, I just might get my liberal arts degree in the spring and move back up to Rhode Island because this is just outrageous. And look I'm not trying to sound spoiled, my dad's gf misses her kid...But c'mon..I don't think they're being fair or realistic here.

When I was 23, I was living on my own in my own apartment working 2 low-paying jobs while finishing off my senior year of college. And 2 years later, thanks to a soft job market, I did it all over again for another 2 years. You can guess from that what my general opinion of your situation is here.:Sleeping:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
When I was 23, I was living on my own in my own apartment working 2 low-paying jobs while finishing off my senior year of college. And 2 years later, thanks to a soft job market, I did it all over again for another 2 years. You can guess from that what my general opinion of your situation is here.:Sleeping:

Just because you did it doesn't mean 1) that everyone can; 2) that it is an option for everyone. I commend you for doing so, sounds like a lot of hard work, but don't say that because you can do it that everyone can or should. Just because I can work and go to graduate school doesn't mean everyone can. Just because I can live, quite easily, on 4 hours of sleep, doesn't mean everyone can.

Not attacking you personally, I really do commend you for doing that, and you can form you opinion based on that; but all to often people have the "well I did it so you can" mentality, which is a false mentality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I disagree. It was simply expected that I was on my own at 18. Personally, I couldn't imagine still living at home past 18, but beyond that... as an adult, don't like it change it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just because you did it doesn't mean 1) that everyone can; 2) that it is an option for everyone. I commend you for doing so, sounds like a lot of hard work, but don't say that because you can do it that everyone can or should. Just because I can work and go to graduate school doesn't mean everyone can. Just because I can live, quite easily, on 4 hours of sleep, doesn't mean everyone can.

Not attacking you personally, I really do commend you for doing that, and you can form you opinion based on that; but all to often people have the "well I did it so you can" mentality, which is a false mentality.

Actually I can't live on 4 hours sleep. These weren't diagnosed at the time, but I've suffered most my life from sleep apnea and low testosterone (which has a significant impact on one's energy levels). I was reknown for having difficulty staying awake in some classes. And still I did it. So yeah... if I can do it, ANYONE can (ok... I can excuse single parents perhaps, but hardly anyone else). Anyone who thinks they have a good reason besides that, I'd LOVE to hear it.

Besides, that wasn't entirely my point. My point was one should be a bit more thankful that they don't HAVE to do what I had to do. I wish I coulda shared a bedroom rather than work 2 jobs to get through school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Actually I can't live on 4 hours sleep. These weren't diagnosed at the time, but I've suffered most my life from sleep apnea and low testosterone (which has a significant impact on one's energy levels). I was reknown for having difficulty staying awake in some classes. And still I did it. So yeah... if I can do it, ANYONE can (ok... I can excuse single parents perhaps, but hardly anyone else). Anyone who thinks they have a good reason besides that, I'd LOVE to hear it.

Besides, that wasn't entirely my point. My point was one should be a bit more thankful that they don't HAVE to do what I had to do. I wish I coulda shared a bedroom rather than work 2 jobs to get through school.

Well, that was my point, not everyone can do everything, hence my four hours of sleep example. Whether physically or mentally, not everyone can do everything. So because I am working full time nights, and working towards my PhD then everyone can do it, right? There is no difference between people's intelligences and body chemistries right? Kind of get where I am going with this? I understand your example, but it's flawed logic, not everyone is equal.

But yes, I agree, one should be thankful that one doesn't have to do that; and like I said I commend you for doing so. My father did the same, with a kid at the time (my brother, not me) and worked his way up to be CEO of a company. I am thankful everyday of my life that he gave me the CHOICE that he didn't have.

:)

**Edit: I think where we are digressing is that I am attacking the thinking in general, not specific to this situation.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hence why I brought up my IBS. If I don't get AT LEAST more than 6 hours of good, SOLID sleep, I'm a wreck...Horrible anxiety, etc etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
OMG! I could never sleep knowing there was a Tarantula in my house, nevermind 10 in the bedroom! Ugh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that was my point, not everyone can do everything, hence my four hours of sleep example. Whether physically or mentally, not everyone can do everything. So because I am working full time nights, and working towards my PhD then everyone can do it, right? There is no difference between people's intelligences and body chemistries right? Kind of get where I am going with this? I understand your example, but it's flawed logic, not everyone is equal.

Nah, I don't get where yer going. Or you don't get where I'm going. I never said anyone can do ANYTHING they want to do. If I had set my goals on being the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, I'd still be bagging groceries for tips or running a concession stand because just off the bat, I flat out do not have the personality or interpersonal skills needed for such a position. But if one wants to be more than what they are now, then they first have a responsibility to set REASONABLY achievable goals for themselves. You also have to be determined to do what it takes to achieve them. Being capable of doing what it takes and having the determination to actually do so are different things. If someone doesn't want to do better, then that's fine too. There are many measures of success and not all are tied to money and social status. But to say one "can't" do better... again I say I'd LOVE to hear why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Nah, I don't get where yer going. Or you don't get where I'm going. I never said anyone can do ANYTHING they want to do. If I had set my goals on being the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, I'd still be bagging groceries for tips or running a concession stand because just off the bat, I flat out do not have the personality or interpersonal skills needed for such a position. But if one wants to be more than what they are now, then they first have a responsibility to set REASONABLY achievable goals for themselves. You also have to be determined to do what it takes to achieve them. Being capable of doing what it takes and having the determination to actually do so are different things. If someone doesn't want to do better, then that's fine too. There are many measures of success and not all are tied to money and social status. But to say one "can't" do better... again I say I'd LOVE to hear why.

I feel like we are on two different wavelengths here. This is getting way off topic though, we can PM back and forth if you want to continue this colloquy.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now you guys have me thinking of whether or not I should move back to Rhode Island....So I guess I'll post the pros and cons of moving.

PROS OF MOVING TO RI:
-The whole 2nd floor of the house is mine. (About 1500 square feet.)
-I'll get to be with my ex. (We have a long history together. We both miss each other horribly.)
-JOBS JOBS JOBS! I could potentially work at three jobs at one time: My old mechanic job, and two jobs with friends of the family who do construction - Yes they have steady work which is amazing.
-A shed to keep my Jaguar in.
-I'm allowed to do whatever I want there. I can talk as loud as I want and so forth...I think you guys know where I'm going with that one.
-ITT Technical institute is 15 minutes down the road from where I live there in RI.
-All of my friends are up there.

CONS OF LIVING IN RI
-The cold. I have arthritic knees and hands, the cold kills me. And not to sound like a wuss, the continual cloudiness and rain bums me out.
-I'd have to buy all of my own food. (However it would be a fair trade with the amount of money I'd make.)
-The well water: Now this is a big one. When I lived there, I had to buy gallons of water to drink and I drink about two gallons worth of water a day. The well water would always make me sick and wouldn't even hydrate me.
-Ugh the snow and blah roads
-The HORRIBLY rude people and utterly STUPID drivers
-It's so darn cold and dark there in the winter that I wouldn't be able to work on my car.
I guess I'm scared to go back because when I was living there I was so miserable but then again it was pretty much because I didn't know why my body was acting the way it was.

The pros of living in Florida are that I'm here with my dad, the women here are SO hot, and the fact it's always nice and sunny. But I guess I can't live with my dad forever, and the women down here are stupid, and it gets insanely hot here as well. I don't know...All I know is that I'm HORRIBLY confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Now you guys have me thinking of whether or not I should move back to Rhode Island....So I guess I'll post the pros and cons of moving.

PROS OF MOVING TO RI:
-The whole 2nd floor of the house is mine. (About 1500 square feet.)
-I'll get to be with my ex. (We have a long history together. We both miss each other horribly.)
-JOBS JOBS JOBS! I could potentially work at three jobs at one time: My old mechanic job, and two jobs with friends of the family who do construction - Yes they have steady work which is amazing.
-A shed to keep my Jaguar in.
-I'm allowed to do whatever I want there. I can talk as loud as I want and so forth...I think you guys know where I'm going with that one.
-ITT Technical institute is 15 minutes down the road from where I live there in RI.
-All of my friends are up there.

CONS OF LIVING IN RI
-The cold. I have arthritic knees and hands, the cold kills me. And not to sound like a wuss, the continual cloudiness and rain bums me out.
-I'd have to buy all of my own food. (However it would be a fair trade with the amount of money I'd make.)
-The well water: Now this is a big one. When I lived there, I had to buy gallons of water to drink and I drink about two gallons worth of water a day. The well water would always make me sick and wouldn't even hydrate me.
-Ugh the snow and blah roads
-The HORRIBLY rude people and utterly STUPID drivers
-It's so darn cold and dark there in the winter that I wouldn't be able to work on my car.
I guess I'm scared to go back because when I was living there I was so miserable but then again it was pretty much because I didn't know why my body was acting the way it was.

The pros of living in Florida are that I'm here with my dad, the women here are SO hot, and the fact it's always nice and sunny. But I guess I can't live with my dad forever, and the women down here are stupid, and it gets insanely hot here as well. I don't know...All I know is that I'm HORRIBLY confused.

Always nice and sunny? No rude and stupid drivers? Where are you in Florida? lol! ;) I've lived here my whole life (Miami, West Palm, Orlando, Tampa, Vero) and all those things are everywhere I go!

Personally I say your pro's out weigh your cons because some of the cons (like having to buy bottled water, buying food) aren't really that bad. Just me though. ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Go back to RI, it sounds like you will be better off. Privacy for one thing, and the freedom to do whatever you want is priceless.

The cold >_>" I don't like so much either I use to live in Maryland and it snows a lot >_>" probably doesn't get as cold as RI but still digging your car out of three feet of snow is not fun.

This was back when I didn't have a garage and was living in an apartment.

I've never had well water before. I usually go out and buy like 100 gallons of water which last a few months for like 20 bucks. This is in SolCal by the way not sure how much water runs in other states.

There are rude and stupid people everywhere you go.

Wear long underwear if you get cold easily. That's my advice :p

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'm going to have to think long and hard about all of this. I guess it's not even about my dad's girlfriend's child now. I guess it was just a reality check that my honeymoon is about to end because something's gotta give here. Driving an hour just to go to school is ridiculous. Not to mention the horrible job I have only pays me a whopping $150 every two weeks. I'd be spending all of that money in gas! But this is a reality check isn't it?

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
I say suck it up and move back to RI.
Finish your schooling and then think about moving back to Florida to get a job.

I'm from the UK so I know cold and wet and I live in the far south west which has the best weather by far.
I went to Vero beach on holiday at the end of january this year so I know what thats like too.

It sounds like your standard of living will be higher in RI so from a mental point of view, thats probably the best place to be anyway. And you can hook up with your ex.
Thats gotta be good for body and soul.
Better work/money prospects.

What are you waiting for?
you can still visit your dad for a holiday!
Every few weeks ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.