Mac App Store Open, 10.6.6 Released

Reaction score
How do I get the App Store on my MAC?

Hi, I currently have OS X 10.5.8 on my MacBook. I tried the "Software Updates" feature to get 10.6.6 for the Mac App Store, but I receive a message that my computer is up-to-date.

Do I have to purchase the 10.6.6 version of Mac OS X 10.6.6? Why is it not in my Software Updates?

I support the idea of paying for Mac Apps, but I can't imagine why I would have to pay for 10.6.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Hi, I currently have OS X 10.5.8 on my MacBook. I tried the "Software Updates" feature to get 10.6.6 for the Mac App Store, but I receive a message that my computer is up-to-date.

Do I have to purchase the 10.6.6 version of Mac OS X 10.6.6? Why is it not in my Software Updates?

I support the idea of paying for Mac Apps, but I can't imagine why I would have to pay for 10.6.

Thanks for any help.

Yes, 10.6.x is a NEW Mac OS. Leopard -> Snow Leopard. $29USD is a GREAT deal to upgrade your entire OS as opposed to what it cost to go from Win XP to Vista or to Win 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Thanks for any help.

If you are currently running 10.5.8 then you need to purchase the $29 (if in the US) Snowleopard OS. This is a new OS. So you cant UPDATE to 10.6.6. from 10.5.8... They are 2 very different things !!!! Once you have the SL installed on your Mac then hit the Software Update and it will then give you the App store.

So yea you need the New SL OS to be able to access the new App Store ... No other way around it sorry ...

Cheers

Reaction score
Everything is forward moving. Leopard can't "keep up" with the Mac App Store. Just like only Intel Macs could install SL. It's called progression.

But snow leopard is only a tweaked version of leopard, with very little changes. Virutally EVERYTHING that runs on snow leopard runs just as well (if not better) on leopard. Hence the "leopard" part in both OS. And The app store is just an internet website where you buy applications. Nothing more. I'm not buying the "that's progress" excuse. The app store should be accessable to any machine running at least leopard. It's an OS that is only two years old in the first place.

When lion comes out am I supposed to again go out upgrade that so I can access that store? This is a snowjob, Steve Jobs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I'm not buying the "that's progress" excuse. The app store should be accessable to any machine running at least leopard..

What everyone is forgetting or they just dont want to know is you dont have to have the App Store at all. Its just a gimmick IMO atm. IF you dont want it dont get it in the SU, and if you do want it, fork out the $29 and thats all it will cost you. Better off paying $29 now than having to fork out the $100+ for Lion when it hits the street.... Smart economic buying i reckon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
What everyone is forgetting or they just dont want to know is you dont have to have the App Store at all. Its just a gimmick IMO atm.

Not to sure I'd go that far. How else would one be able to purchase apps for less than half of what the retail boxed versions are selling for?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not to sure I'd go that far. How else would one be able to purchase apps for less than half of what the retail boxed versions are selling for?

Doug

Well im on SL and bc im over my monthly quota i am shaped to 256kb/s and i havnt done the update.
Which in turn means i havnt yet got the App Store on my Mac so i havnt been able to check it out at all.
I did read the8tharks post about the difference in the price of iLife from memory, and didnt really click that it extends to all other apps . . . .

I suppose calling it a gimmick wasnt the right thing but im still in the belief if you dont want it there is no need to get it.
Once my month rolls over ill update and check it out, then i wont be commenting on something i havnt got as yet ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well im on SL and bc im over my monthly quota i am shaped to 256kb/s and i havnt done the update.
Which in turn means i havnt yet got the App Store on my Mac so i havnt been able to check it out at all.
I did read the8tharks post about the difference in the price of iLife from memory, and didnt really click that it extends to all other apps . . . .

I suppose calling it a gimmick wasnt the right thing but im still in the belief if you dont want it there is no need to get it.
Once my month rolls over ill update and check it out, then i wont be commenting on something i havnt got as yet ;)

You don't have to get it in order to see what is offered. Just go to Apple's main site and look at the apps available thus far. They're not many at the moment, but you can see how much they cost if purchasing from the app store, and I'm going to say that it goes beyond opinion in stating that it's not a gimmick, and a much better deal to purchase a download from the app store as opposed to buying a boxed version of the same software for a few reasons:

1. Price. Aperture 3 sells for $200 in stores. You can get it for less than half that from the App store.

2. Licensing and serial number out of the way. You bought it, so you can install it on any of your registered computers. No serial needed.

3. After you purchase it, you don't need to keep the install file. Delete it and be happy in knowing that you can download it again and again from the app store whenever you want for free.

4. Eco-friendly packaging. Because there is none. Manuals can be downloaded. I'm very happy about this, personally speaking. You can read the manual on your phone, iPad, laptop or print it if you're that hard up for a hard copy. I love a physical medium for some things, but software isn't on the list of things.

Believe me, I'd be the first to agree or say that this was a gimmick. But I just don't see it that way. I think they're [Apple] doing a great thing here.

Doug

Reaction score
Hmmm....

Well, I just used the Mac App Store for the first time yesterday and I thought it was okay, actually.

I needed a copy of Pages for my fairly new iMac and at first I was looking at having to purchase the iWork package. It was about $65 from Amazon but then I checked the App Store and discovered that I could buy just Pages for $20. Thought that was a pretty good deal.

Plus there are quite a few free apps that are quite good. And it's very convenient being able to download stuff right away compared with waiting for a shipment or driving to the store.

So...what's not to like?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.