An almos magical problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
Hey there guys, i've got a little problem with the iMac G3 - The focus of the problem is on networking and it should be pretty easy to fix! I think i'm just missing something vital.

Thanks in advance :3

A while ago I thought the ethernet port on my iMac G3 450MHZ had died, and I was about ready to sell the poor dear for a reduced price. I upgraded from Panther to Tigr to see if I could fix the problem but nothing seemed to help.

I had given up until I had the idea of checking cables for one last time today. This you won't belive! It actually worked!

My usual config for connecting to the internet with the iMac was:
Magic internet cable to modem
modem to switch
switch to 2 PCs
switch to 1 Mac

If it helps the switch is the D-Link DES-1005D '5-Port 10/100Mbps'

I had tried the iMac on different ports in the switch, tried different cables etc. Today I tried connecting the iMac via the spare ethernet port on my main PC rig.. clicked a browser in my dock aaannd bam! We are active!

Could someone please advise me as to what wwent wrong, how to fix and/or prevent it in the future? It would be great to get any feedback.

The problem with running off my main PC is, my PC is currently awaiting replacment so it can crash to restart at any time - thus losing connection on the iMac. Is there any way I could get the iMac back to life?

Looking forward to replies!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So it does not work at all on the dlink switch? Does the light for the port that it's plugged into light on the Dlink? Also check the Rj-54 jack on the iMac and see if the contacts are straight and not bent. Have seen that happen a few times on the older iMacs.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply travis, hope to see you in IRC soon.

Yeah, doesn't seem to work on the switch at all, as for the light i'd have to try and get back to you. Should I check the pins despite the iMac being able to connect via the PC? In that respect the port itself seems fine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for the reply travis, hope to see you in IRC soon.

Yeah, doesn't seem to work on the switch at all, as for the light i'd have to try and get back to you. Should I check the pins despite the iMac being able to connect via the PC? In that respect the port itself seems fine.

Is it the same Cat-5 cable when going to the Dlink or the PC? I would check the pins anyway just in case. I can't see why it would work one place and not the other.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using the same cable that I used to connect via the switch to connect via the PC

I'll check the pins when I can make a space to turn around the iMac, so i'll give that a go tomorrow morning (its 11PM here ;___; i'm so sleepy!)

Ever so strange, eh? I've never seen anything like it, because it used to work fine before

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 333 Mhz iMac G3 here. Works on my 5 and 8 port Dlink Switches without an issue. Let me know what you find. I will do some searching around the net and see if I can find anything.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would say thankyou but I think you are just taunting me with your working iMac G3 and switches! :V

Haha, thanks a lot my friend; only time will tell

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Double post for update:

I've tried everything I can think of and just can't get it to work on the switch or directly connected to the modem. Activity monitor shows data coming in and out, which is interesting. The port on the switch is light up, its LED activity light is flashing as if it were working.

Its a sad thing because the new iMacs aren't out, this PC isn't well at the moment due to generic hardware fault and my backup is in use.

Any more input would be great! This is such a tricky case.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This one has me stumped since the light on the Switch is lit and you are getting activity. Makes no sense. No internet correct? And this used to worked plugged in the same way? Is there a router? What is assigning the IP Address to the computers? What modem is this?

Also if you open up System Preferences, Network and click on Built-In-Ethernet, what does it show for an IP address and Router Address?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great news! It now works! Yay!

I had to do a hard reset on the modem, I just ruled it out before because of other network devices functioning perfectly. Guess what i'm typing this on ^___^ haha, this is brilliant

Thanks for being so prompt travis

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.