• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Confessions of a Recovering Gear-aholic

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi everybody, I?m Mike and I like to buy stuff . . . lots of stuff.

I have all the latest and greatest cameras, computers, iPads, iPods, iPhones, routers, receivers, amps, speakers, TVs, and every other conceivable gadget and gizmo. If it?s new and techie, I either already have it, or am planning on buying it.

DISCLAIMER: The above statement is not totally true. I don?t really have all of that stuff, but only because of limited funds, and a wif... ... Return to article to continue reading.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great blog Mike. I couldn't stop reading and laughing at the same time. It was almost like looking into a mirror! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You guys are an Apple Shareholder's dream come true. Keep up the good work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
:D brilliant! I'm there too...engineer thing for sure. My latest one was a car! :Oops:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
While I'm not as, uh, diligent (yeah, that's the word :) ) about creating a spreadsheet to track the pros and cons of my purchase, but I do do a lot of research and read reviews from all sorts of places to ensure that I'm getting the right and valid information..

Thought research, I've found that I find newer/better things than what I had initially though to purchase and also learn a bit about a few things..so a win-win in my books..

The amount of research I do is obviously affected by the price of the thing..

Unlike Mike though, once I reach the end of my research, I make the go or no-go call and then it's fire and forget (as far as my credit card is concerned)..:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I am guilty just love tech which there is no cure only remission do to budget constraints.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
at the risk of being sexist, Compulsive Upgrading Disorder is primarily a male related condition - yes?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
at the risk of being sexist, Compulsive Upgrading Disorder is primarily a male related condition - yes?

Perhaps when it comes to tech gear, but in your more open statement, I'd say both sexes can succumb to it..:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Probably but do not bring sewing machines into this argument!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would say it infects both parties just different tech between the two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone 5S, iPad Mini Retina
Manly Yes, But I Have Them Too

"at the risk of being sexist, Compulsive Upgrading Disorder is primarily a male related condition - yes?"

My husband would totally disagree with you on that. He can barely open his messages and I don't think he has ever sent one. I however, have enough gadgets to open my own store. I have at least 6 different earpieces, an iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro, Kindle, Windows laptop, Windows PC, a couple dozen backup batteries, mifi and I could go on and on. I was even one of the lucky ones who got the Typo for iPhone before RIM's lawsuit against Ryan Seacrest was filed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks for the recent post, otherwise I would probably have missed the delightful blog article.

Who me so afflicted...??? Noooo, not quite... ;)

Reaction score
For those who don't know, all the articles can be found here:

Confessions of a Recovering Gear-aholic - Mac-Forums Discussions for Apple Products & Services 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra

Nope, a girl can have the "condition" too! I don't do the spreadsheets but I do make copious notes, read volumes of information, and spend hours researching.

I am the queen of upgrading. Just added a new Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX770 video card (4GB) to my Windows video editor. Figured it might improve render times in Adobe After Effects. My previous card was pretty beefy but the new one has so many more CUDA cores and is faster and cooler! I also added a new SSD and more memory.... yup upgrade queen that's me.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
" ... He can barely open his messages and I don't think he has ever sent one. I however, have enough gadgets to open my own store.

We have that in common. My husband makes me retrieve his email and type replies. I am the geek in the house.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We have that in common. My husband makes me retrieve his email and type replies. I am the geek in the house.

Lisa

Sounds like we have a lot in common!;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Lisa

What a caring, patient and tolerant loving wife!! ;)

But maybe it's time to setup Automator, voice commands and dictation etc. for him...??? ;D

Or does he do all the cooking, house cleaning, laundry washing etc. in return?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

But maybe it's time to setup Automator, voice commands and dictation etc. for him...??? ;D

Or does he do all the cooking, house cleaning, laundry washing etc. in return?????

I freely admit my husband does the housework and cooking as well as drive me everywhere since i don't drive any more. i kept getting lost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Right....with his Tennessee accent littered with colorful language that would be a hoot! He can't use nuance on his phone but it works fine for me.

As to the housework...I WISH! He did take apart my washer once because it was ticking...it was a timer running. Cost $59 for the repairman to fix it. Then there was the sweeper he blew up when he swept up a primer (reloaders will know what that is) and then the time he set the stove on fire trying to fry sausages....I think they were all deliberate so he could get out of helping. Just a theory.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right....with his Tennessee accent littered with colorful language that would be a hoot! He can't use nuance on his phone but it works fine for me.

As to the housework...I WISH! He did take apart my washer once because it was ticking...it was a timer running. Cost $59 for the repairman to fix it. Then there was the sweeper he blew up when he swept up a primer (reloaders will know what that is) and then the time he set the stove on fire trying to fry sausages....I think they were all deliberate so he could get out of helping. Just a theory.

Lisa

Well I love to here those with southern accents talk and we had one as a neighbour for a few years.Sometimes I didn't quite understand what he was saying but I blamed my aging hearing loss.

The helping husband reminded me of this gif but I don't know if it will work or if I can even post it here, but I'll try.

Bummer:
"whymendontvacuum.gif:
Your file of 1.47 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 1.00 MB for this filetype."

Oh well.

Edit:
Try this:
http://sbynews.blogspot.ca/2014/05/this-is-why-men-dont-vacuum.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.