Macbook won't fully accept new RAM

Reaction score
I have a mid-2010 Macbook (NOT Pro). Although Apple's "official" word that the max capacity is 4GB, I've read on multiple other sites that the mid-2010 Macbook can actually hold 8GB total (2X4GB). I've purchased 2 Mushkin PC3-8500 DDR3 1066 mHz 4GB sticks which is the type specified in my manual from Apple. The package even states it's "compatible" with Apple.

I've installed the two sticks and when I turn on my macbook the system makes a mid-length tone or beep, pauses a few seconds, then repeats the beep again. The screen doesn't do anything and remains black. This goes on until I shut it off.

I've tried every combination of RAM using my old 1GB sticks and my new 4GB sticks. They all work and they all work in each slot. My macbook will recognize them all and will show that I have 5GB installed. The only combination that won't work is if I use the two 4GB sticks together in which case I get those annoying tones/beeps that I mentioned.

At first I thought that perhaps the other sources were incorrect in the 8GB limit or were referring to the Pro models which I've noticed people often confuse with the white macbooks. If that was the case though I would assume that the macbook wouldn't be able to recognize the 4GB stick when it's inserted into the slot. Why can my macbook see and use both sticks but just not together?

Does anyone have a solution as to how I can get this to work? For what it's worth, I'm on Lion though I doubt that is part of the issue. I'd love to get this working with both 4GB sticks so that I don't have to make another 40 minute trip to return/exchange for different RAM and deal with a restocking fee. Like I said, both sticks work, just not together.

It should be worth noting as well that the system will also not accept just one 4GB module installed and leaving the other slot completely empty. This too will cause the angry beeping. This leads me to believe that perhaps it's a timing issue/incompatibility only resolved by using one of the original modules for the system to get the timing from. Still, the package states that it's Apple compatible and is 1066mHz which is what my system requires... so I'm at a loss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have always in the past been able to run only one stick of ram in any intel MacBook
for trouble shooting .if you re install your original ram and no problem exists then I would suggest incompatibility of the ram you purchased personally I stay with Crucial
brand and have never had an issue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a mid-2010 Macbook (NOT Pro). Although Apple's "official" word that the max capacity is 4GB, I've read on multiple other sites that the mid-2010 Macbook can actually hold 8GB total (2X4GB). I've purchased 2 Mushkin PC3-8500 DDR3 1066 mHz 4GB sticks which is the type specified in my manual from Apple. The package even states it's "compatible" with Apple.

I've installed the two sticks and when I turn on my macbook the system makes a mid-length tone or beep, pauses a few seconds, then repeats the beep again. The screen doesn't do anything and remains black. This goes on until I shut it off.

I've tried every combination of RAM using my old 1GB sticks and my new 4GB sticks. They all work and they all work in each slot. My macbook will recognize them all and will show that I have 5GB installed. The only combination that won't work is if I use the two 4GB sticks together in which case I get those annoying tones/beeps that I mentioned.

I can verify that this 8 gig ram upgrade does work (2 x 4 gig sticks). I upgraded my wife's "Late-2009" Unibody MacBook (essentially the same as your 2010 Unibody MacBook)...and it works great.

Here's a trusted source for the 8 gig ram upgrade from Macsales.com (they certainly wouldn't be selling it if it didn't work):

OWC OWC8566DDR3S8GP 8.0GB (4.0GB + 4.0GB Kit)... in stock at OWC

I actually got the 8 gig ram upgrade from my local Microcenter Store...and it worked. I was actually going to order the 8 gig upgrade from the link above...but my local Microcenter had it for $10 bucks less ($49.99) so I figured I would try it. If it didn't work...I would have returned it...and ordered from MacSales above.

I'm guessing something is wrong with that 2 x 4 gig ram you got...despite all the combinations that proved that each stick works by itself.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Same exact issue on my macbook, same last model of macbook that was made, I had there 2GB of ram before which was a joke so I decided to upgrade to 8GB, I bought Kingston set I knew that they are 1333 but from my past experiences with different brands that should not be an issue as it should just under clock it self. Bu I have experienced exactly the same behavior as you.

Two new ram together wont work, any combination with old ram work and boot up 5GB of usable ram ( 4GB new and 1GB old module ) this is a mystery to me :( and seem like there is no solution for it...

maybe just go to shop and have them install the modules in front of you and see if it starts :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Same exact issue on my macbook, same last model of macbook that was made, I had there 2GB of ram before which was a joke so I decided to upgrade to 8GB, I bought Kingston set I knew that they are 1333 but from my past experiences with different brands that should not be an issue as it should just under clock it self.

Technically speaking...the last MacBook models used 1066mhz ram.

Maybe you've had positive experiences in the past substituting 1333mhz ram for 1066mhz ram...but in this case...using 1333mhz ram may very well be the problem.

Also...technically (and officially from Apple)...the last model MacBooks were only upgradeable to 4gig of ram...but it has been found that upgrading to 8gig is possible. BUT...since upgrading to 8gig of ram is BEYOND Apple's recommended max ram...maybe sticking with 1066mhz ram is a better idea.;)

What I'm trying to say is...upgrading to 8gig of ram is already exceeding Apple's suggested max...then using "technically" the wrong ram (1333mhz)...only complicates things further.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.