virus protection

Reaction score
I need to Install a virus protection on my Imac running MTN LION. Any recommendations ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I need to Install a virus protection on my Imac running MTN LION. Any recommendations ?

Hello morgan727 and welcome.

No we generally really don't see the need...however if you really really really must install something then Clamxav is the one most recommended ClamXav

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Why would you need protection from something that does not exist on a Mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
virus

I believe my mac was hacked.My camera was taken over by someone.Maybe it was from a attachment from an email. I just want to prevent this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I believe my mac was hacked.My camera was taken over by someone.Maybe it was from a attachment from an email. I just want to prevent this.

Someone, for example an administrator, would have had to have installed and authorised some software for example Apple Remote Desktop to do this. It's highly unlikely.

Try running Repair Disk Permissions on your HDD in Disk Utility and make sure you OS is completely up to date.

Have a look at this also http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I run sophos on my mac. I dont see a problem with having it or not having it. My machine is fast enough that i dont notice a performace difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As others have said there are no viruses and very few malware threats to Mac OS X. Most do not run any AV software however if you come from the windows world and are concerned, download ClamXAV which is freeware. If you run Windows by VM< or BootCamp, download Microsoft's Security Essentials, also freeware.

Reaction score
I suggest WebrootSecureAnywhere.

Even though Macs don't have many Malware issues or hacking issues.

You can buy the program at Best Buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If a user feels happier with AV, Sophos home edition is ideal. It's free, effective and non intrusive. It's likely to only identify PC viri attached to emails though, as there are minimal threats in OS X. Never buy Norton AV.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Never buy Norton AV.

I agree. I avoid Symantec products whenever I can - whether it's on my Macs or PCs.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think you're looking for a solution to a problem that either isn't malware related or doesn't require AV. In the mean time, let's break this down a bit. What makes you think this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I run "Avast!" but it has never caught anything. Scanning my computer has never come up with any threats...could not say that about W.

Reaction score
iAntivirus

I use iAntivirus. it's not realtime, but you can scan whenever. I got it on the app stare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

I think you're looking for a solution to a problem that either isn't malware related or doesn't require AV. In the mean time, let's break this down a bit. What makes you think this?

I'm interested to see the reply to vansmith's question.

Why throw snake oil (avast, iAntivirus, and the like) at something when you don't even know the symptoms or cause yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I think you're looking for a solution to a problem that either isn't malware related or doesn't require AV.

My thoughts exactly. People in the know, know that AV isnt going to show if someone has a hold of your Mac, so we need to start to look into, as Vansmith posted, “What makes you think this”? and we might be able to head you in the correct direction.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.