2 diffrent iMac issues with not turning on

Reaction score
I've been using one iMac for years now and just got 1 iMac G4 recently from helping out a neighbor moving out. Both will not turn on. Here are the issues:

iMac 1 (That I've had since purchased): something spill on the table it was on and was dried, worked for a day or so and then went. Now when I plug it in and pressed the power button I hear the fan and feel air from it but no start up sound or anything else.

iMac 2: Worked great for a few days then just went. there was a weird issue right before it would not turn on, where the computer went to sleep and when I tryed to wake it it did not respond right away, but then got it back and turned it off and then later tryed to turn it back on and it won't do anything now.

Any ideas I could try on either of them?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
iMac 1: Which model is it? I find it hard to believe a spill got into your iMac. It would have to be a big splash of some sort to get into a vertical mounted machine like an iMac. That's why you need to give us some info about which model it is. But briefly - if a spill did get inside the machine it could have caused damage to the logic board or other components especially if it was on at the time.

iMac 2: Check the internal battery. It could be very weak or dead.

OP
F
Reaction score
iMac 1: Which model is it? I find it hard to believe a spill got into your iMac. It would have to be a big splash of some sort to get into a vertical mounted machine like an iMac. That's why you need to give us some info about which model it is. But briefly - if a spill did get inside the machine it could have caused damage to the logic board or other components especially if it was on at the time.

iMac 2: Check the internal battery. It could be very weak or dead.

There both iMac G4's 17 inch 800 MHz, I'm not sure how big the spill was, it's my fathers. If the logic board was damaged wound the fan still run when turned on?

on iMac 2 would the 4-key combo command + option +p +r at startup do anything?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There both iMac G4's 17 inch 800 MHz, I'm not sure how big the spill was, it's my fathers. If the logic board was damaged wound the fan still run when turned on?

Yes, in many cases the PS still works and the fan turns on. But if the spill got onto the logic board and fried some components, it means a logic board swap which would not be worth it for a machine that old.

on iMac 2 would the 4-key combo command + option +p +r at startup do anything? Thanks

I don't think resetting the PRAM is going to help. You can certainly try. Also, check the battery as I mentioned above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.