Wireless channel

Reaction score
Can anyone please explain how to go about changing the wireless channel. I think other routers are causing interference with our connection but I can't seem to figure out how to change the channel.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What router do you have?

Generally, you'll want to go to point your browser to either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 to get to the router's configuration page. From there, go to the wireless settings tab and find the option to change the channel.

Your router might come with the option to scan the area to find what channels nearby wireless networks are on. Pick a channel furthest away possible (channels go from 1 to 11; some routers can go higher)

OP
K
Reaction score
It's a BT Homehub.

When you say point your browser - where am I meant to be? Is this in the router settings? Sorry, but not great with this sort of thing.
Thanks.

What router do you have?

Generally, you'll want to go to point your browser to either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 to get to the router's configuration page. From there, go to the wireless settings tab and find the option to change the channel.

Your router might come with the option to scan the area to find what channels nearby wireless networks are on. Pick a channel furthest away possible (channels go from 1 to 11; some routers can go higher)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
By pointing your browser, I mean to input those numbers into the address bar on top.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
It's a BT Homehub.

When you say point your browser - where am I meant to be? Is this in the router settings? Sorry, but not great with this sort of thing.
Thanks.

What you need to do is to establish what kind (model) of router you have. Once you know this then you can proceed to point the router. Example a Linksys router if I remember correctly is 192.168.0.1 my airport extreme is 10.0.1.1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.