Stopped Drinking the Kool-Aid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
Hello,

Nice place ya got here.:) Lurked the forums for a few days and decided to join the site. New MBP owner and if I have any issues, this is a good place to start.

First, I have used Bill Gates products for 13 years, 6 OS's and 7 Windoze Boxes. It was not fun anymore. I needed something to keep me interested in computing.

After a nice Friday Night Valentine's Dinner with the wife, we decided to check out a MPB at the Apple Store. My intent was not to purchase, just kick the tires. So we entered the store.

I played with a MBP for a few minutes and a store associate approached and demo'ed iWork apps. I was blown away. It smoked anything I have seen with Windows. My wife has desktop publishing as a hobby and iWork was perfect.

I was so impressed I ordered a Refurb MBP last Saturday and it arrived this Tuesday of this week. 30 minutes of set up time and I was off to the races. MAC OS X is intuitive, easy to use, and a joy to have. Why did I wait so long to rid myself of Windoze headaches?

The only issue I have is the MBP is for the wife.:( I will have to buy another one. My wife's notebook is 5 years old and tired, and needs to go to pasture. So another one is in the works.

It will take some time to get used to MAC OS X but I learned a little so far and thanks to this great forum for info, tips, and tricks, and a warm welcome. :)

OP
My_MAC_MBP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
Hello,

I knew I did something fantastic when the MBP booted up, and my wife and the audio from the MBP had angels singing. :) Yes, I was convinced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It always starts with one Mac. Next thing you know you'll have an entire household teeming with Apple products, from notebooks to iPods to iPhones and maybe even the upcoming iPad!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Welcome Aboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
It always starts with one Mac. Next thing you know you'll have an entire household teeming with Apple products, from notebooks to iPods to iPhones and maybe even the upcoming iPad!

Ain't that the truth! I started off with my Macbook, and in the two years since, I've acquired the following:

• Apple keyboard
  • Wireless Mighty Mouse
  • Magic Mouse (to replace the Might Mouse)
  • Mini-DVI adaptor
  • Time Capsule
  • AirPort Express
  • 2 iPod Classics
  • 2 iPhones (one for me and the soon-to-be missus)

And this past week, I received my new 2.53GHz Mac mini! Now that I have that, I'm thinking of replacing the MacBook with a 13" MacBook Pro sometime this summer. It is indeed a sickness, but one that I'm very happy to have. :)

Anyway, welcome to the world of Mac, My_MAC_MBP. Enjoy your purchase and prepare to be continually amazed by your new computer.

OP
My_MAC_MBP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
INext thing you know you'll have an entire household teeming with Apple products, from notebooks to iPods to iPhones and maybe even the upcoming iPad!
Well my wife owns an iPod Touch and I have started the process of moving her library from the PC to MAC. I would love an iPhone, but I am stuck with Big Red and my CrackBerry. If Steve Jobs ever decides to make a CDMA/LTE version of the iPhone, count me in. AT&T has poor coverage in my area.

I am considering a Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard. However, I find the MBP touchpad a joy to use. I do want to keep everything A-P-P-L-E. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
iPod Touch and I have started the process of moving her library from the PC to MAC
This is a good gadget - just in case you want a Cable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MBP 2.26, 2008 MB Aluminum 2.4
Welcome.....by the way start saving you are not done yet...these are like a disease of sorts. Once you start you cant stop. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Welcome. Order another one, you know you will anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome.....by the way start saving you are not done yet...these are like a disease of sorts. Once you start you cant stop. LOL

LOL i needed one other than my Tatt's haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac
About a year back I bough a 2nd hand G4 emac and G5 PPC from my works. Total price about 100 pounds. Instantly fell in love, though I had been looking to get a Mac for ages.
Even the eMac was a dream and it is the base model of it's version.
The PPC lived in the living room as a net browser, come media server.
Now I have a shiny new (or it was when I bought it) Mac Mini, again a base model, and the plans are afoot to get a white macbook in the near future, when our Acer laptop dies or falls apart.

The problem is, once you have owned a Mac, everything else becomes second best.

If you like the way a Mac works, and want to try similar on windows machines, give Ubuntu a try. A cracking Linux flavour that's easy to use and is very Mac like. You can make the install CD and try it without installing it on your machine. You can even make the PC dual bootable, so you decide if you want Linux or Windows. It's not OSX but it's better than Windows :)

OP
My_MAC_MBP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Makes no sense to me, how much did Steve Jobs pay you to say this?
Nothing. I think Mr. Jobs has the right ideal that a computer must be user friendly and what is important is the user experience, not flash or as in Bill Gates case, arrogance. I don't have to do registry cleans, virus/spyware scans, etc. It makes computing fun again.

Yes, as others have pointed out, another refurb is in the works. I want the 13" MBP but with 4GB memory. I have to install Windoze only for some programs that are not written for OS X. I use software for communication receivers (iCOM, Uniden, GRE) and serial communications is a must (KeySpan USB to Serial Dongle) and the authors of the software don't code for MAC (YET).

Yes, I may try Ubuntu in what spare time I have. I am trying to get my wife used to OS X and learning to use Pages. The Apple Store has free courses so hopefully she will sign up. Otherwise, I will take the MBP from her if she doesn't use it. A MBP is a terrible thing to waste. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Welcome to the club :) OS X is not Windows and for a long-time Windows user there are some odd quirks (and I still think that Explorer is better than Finder :) - but, we get over these things and one thing is for certain - there's no going back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac
I use software for communication receivers (iCOM, Uniden, GRE) and serial communications is a must (KeySpan USB to Serial Dongle) and the authors of the software don't code for MAC (YET).

I'm a radio Ham and use windows machines for Various data modes and rig control. My rigs are all Yaesu, though I also have a Yupiteru All band all mode scanner, but it's not comp controlled.
I haven't found much out there for Macs when it comes to radio stuff, but there's tons out there for Linux. The lack of serial ports these days is a real pain for the radio enthusiast!
The USB converters are very much hit and miss, I find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Apple, you can't take just one bite.

Ever since I purchased my MBP more than 2 months ago, I've never had to deal with this message: 'Program not responding'. Then it would ask me if I want to wait or close the program myself. Not that I don't know what to do when this happens, but the frequency is annoyance that I had to put up with for years. It gives you a false sense of accomplishment. That some how as a guy, it appealed to your need to fix things. But since owning a Mac I've realized what has happened to me on a PC was just a waste of time.

OK, the Mac has a 'Force quit' option too, but at least I don't have to go through stupid dialog boxes and open another program to quit the unresponsive programs. No more hoops to jump through.

OP
My_MAC_MBP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No more hoops to jump through.
The slogan for Windoze should be: For those who love banging head against wall.

MAC OS Logo: MAC OS. It just works.

Windoze has so much bloatware its a pain to use. Its not useful.

dazcaz said:
The USB converters are very much hit and miss, I find.
Yes they are. However, MAC users give the KeySpan Dongle good reviews. I will try it in a few as I make a master plan to get myself another MAC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.