Confused about RAM speed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
I am contemplating increasing the RAM on my Unibody MBP. According to what is in there no (original), I have 4Gig of DDR3 at 1067 MHz. Upon checking the available memory from Best Buy and a local Fry's Electronics, the prices are ALOT less than directly from Apple. However, The closest Best Buy offering is from Corsair and is specified at "up to 1000 MHz whereas the memory available from Fry's (advertised specifically for the MacBook Pro) runs at 1333 MHz. Can either be installed or am I only to install the Corsair from Best Buy which is a tad slower than my stock ram?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am contemplating increasing the RAM on my Unibody MBP. According to what is in there no (original), I have 4Gig of DDR3 at 1067 MHz. Upon checking the available memory from Best Buy and a local Fry's Electronics, the prices are ALOT less than directly from Apple. However, The closest Best Buy offering is from Corsair and is specified at "up to 1000 MHz whereas the memory available from Fry's (advertised specifically for the MacBook Pro) runs at 1333 MHz. Can either be installed or am I only to install the Corsair from Best Buy which is a tad slower than my stock ram?

Aren't we still trying to figure out exactly what Macintosh laptop model you have in another thread???

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/257572-can-i-upgrade-my-macbook.html

Why don't we try to figure that out first...before dealing with the questions you asked in this thread??;)

Unless we're talking about two different computers (it's getting sort of confusing).:)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, we are talking about two different computers. The other thread is in regards to a Plastic MacBook. This thread is about my MacBook Pro.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, we are talking about two different computers. The other thread is in regards to a Plastic MacBook. This thread is about my MacBook Pro.

Ok...thanks for clearing that up.:) Sounds like you know what ram you need for this computer...go to one of these guys to check ram prices:

- Crucial.com
- OWC

- Nick

p.s. Yes...Apple charges too much for ram...we tell folks this all the time!:)

p.p.s. Again (just like the other MacBook thread)...we need to know exactly what MacBook Pro model we're talking about.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I apologize for confusing things, but I figured if I'm going to make some changes, I may as well try to order everything at the same time, hence the questions about two different computers. Below is the information for the MacBook Pro.

Model Identifier MacBookPro5,1

Processor speed 2.53 GHz

Chipset Model NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to Crucial and used the VERY useful scanner. It appears that I currently have the maximum amount of RAM available, so anything else is a moot point for this thread. Many thanks for the very helpful link.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to Crucial and used the VERY useful scanner. It appears that I currently have the maximum amount of RAM available, so anything else is a moot point for this thread. Many thanks for the very helpful link.

Actually it's not a "moot" point!;) Frequently the "official" max. ram declared by Apple can be exceeded.

If I got your computer model identified correctly...it can actually be upgraded to 8gig of ram.:)

- Nick

p.s. Yes...the Crucial scanner is a VERY useful tool. But it is only programmed with the "official" Apple specs. So the Crucial tool is correctly reporting that your MacBook Pro has a max. limit of 4 gig of ram (according to Apple)...but it can actually be upgraded to 8gig of ram.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well this is very interesting stuff. I am very happy that I asked the question now as I was really hoping to be able to upgrade the MacBook Pro's ram. I am presuming then that my MBP has two (2) slots and that I need 2 x 4gig cards?

I'm sorry if I'm being a pain, but I would rather ask potentially dumb questions than pretend I know it all and mess things up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am presuming then that my MBP has two (2) slots and that I need 2 x 4gig cards?

You got it exactly right!:)

As an example...my wife has a 2009 MacBook...that officially had a max. ram of 4 gig (just like your MBP)...but it can also be upgraded to 8gig. Upgraded it to 8gig about 3 -4 weeks ago...and everything is great!:)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fantastic. I've ordered the appropriate ram for both of my machines now, so I should be set to go.

Thanks again, rep points coming.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fantastic. I've ordered the appropriate ram for both of my machines now, so I should be set to go.

Great again! Your two laptops are going to be in tip-top shape!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.