RAM upgrade combinations?

Reaction score
Is it possible to upgrade the RAM to any combination using the 4 available slots? For example, the computer comes with 2gbx2 RAM sticks. Is it possible to buy 4gbx2 and drop this into the two remaining slots.? This would give a total of 12gb of RAM. Or is it possible to buy 2gbx2 of RAM and drop this into the 2 remaining slots (plus the 2gbx2 that came with the computer) for a total of 8gb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
I remember seeing something about latency of certain ram not being compatible with what it comes with. I believe OWC has some with the correct latency, so it should work.

Reaction score
Is it possible to upgrade the RAM to any combination using the 4 available slots? For example, the computer comes with 2gbx2 RAM sticks. Is it possible to buy 4gbx2 and drop this into the two remaining slots.? This would give a total of 12gb of RAM. Or is it possible to buy 2gbx2 of RAM and drop this into the 2 remaining slots (plus the 2gbx2 that came with the computer) for a total of 8gb?

I am running with the original 2x2 and then extra 2x4GB and it runs fine. But if you install 4x4GB third party you might get in trouble as I did. The newer i5/i7's are very picky about what RAM it will accept for 16GB. I had random shutdowns and discovered that many others had aswell. Now I just use 12GB and all is well. I dont expect 12 or 16GB will make much difference to most folks anyway... ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.