light the OS X

k66

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new with a MBP & Mavericks.
The system is in a full USB key (8 GB) and I would . light the OS X
Drive Genius propose to remove 690 MB. The biggest files are fonts; so, what are the necessary? DG presents me a long list: Hannotate, Kali, Hanzipen... In the folder there are 217!
And in the "cache" there are 606 files, can I delete everything?

Thank you

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
By "light the OS X," are you referring to deleting things from the installer? If so, I'd highly recommend against that. In all honesty, it's easier to just get a second thumb drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I believe that the OP is rather unclear as to what the situation is or what he/she expects to achieve.

To the OP ..... are you saying that your hard disk is full or that the thumb drive is full, and if yes, what makes to say you want to delete those folders and not others.
I am only trying to paint a picture for myself, because I don't understand your post.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
K

k66

Reaction score
I believe that the OP is rather unclear as to what the situation is or what he/she expects to achieve.

To the OP ..... are you saying that your hard disk is full or that the thumb drive is full, and if yes, what makes to say you want to delete those folders and not others.
I am only trying to paint a picture for myself, because I don't understand your post.

Thanks
If I'm the OP (what it means ? Original Postier ?)...
The boot USB disk is full.
I talk about fonts & caches because Drive Genius propose to remove 690 MB.
The biggest files are fonts; so, what are the necessary?
In the folder there are 217! & Of course the system don't needs all these to run.
And the "cache" I understand are not necessary...

I try to make some free espace for some tools on the little USB disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Are you saying that you are running your MBP from a USB Stick/key/thumbdrive? If so why that and not it's internal drive?

OP
K

k66

Reaction score
Because I wish to have the thumbdrive with tools for repairing & maintenance needs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Because I wish to have the thumbdrive with tools for repairing & maintenance needs

Instead of using an 8gig USB stick...just use a 16gig or larger.

- Nick

OP
K

k66

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your ways.
My goal is to know.
Maybe somebody can answer my questions ? :
Which fonts are necessary?
Can I delete everything in the "cache"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
f you go to Applications > Font Book you will see a list of fonts required by the system and applications you have installed. Do not remove any. Cache can be cleared as you see fit but will require more work visiting sites, using passwords etc.

Reaction score
Drive Genius (3) & Base.lproj

I would . light the OS X
Drive Genius propose to remove 690 MB. The biggest files are fonts

DO NOT use DG to delete "unused localizations" as it does not distinguish "Base.lproj" as a much needed "language" file. It will break programs all over the place. Guaranteed.

Reaction score
Drive Genius & fonts?

I talk about fonts & caches because Drive Genius propose to remove 690 MB. The biggest files are fonts
I do not believe Drive Genius offers to delete ANY of your fonts, BTW. It does offer to delete unused language files (.lproj). DO NOT do it with DG as it will break you in a bad way.

Use Monolingual instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4
DG has broken my computer many-a-time and the only way to fix the problem is to either A) format/reinstall or B) tedious other things...
I always opt for A and this is a bummer but B seems tedious.

On the note of Monolingual: I have tried installing it to no avail. I go to the download site and download the current release but inevitably when I mount it and drag to Applications and then try to run it, it says it is damaged and must be moved to the trash... anyone else having this issue? I have tried getting previous releases too... same problem.

Sorry to hijack thread but I saw Monolingual and figured I'd throw that issue into the mix... presumably anyone else trying to install it will have the same problem as I am. Also, I'm running the latest version of Maverick's, on a mac mini, in mac-town, in macountry.

Reaction score
You have run into Gatekeeper. Do a search here. Right-click select Open on the app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gatekeeper not the issue... initially when I tried to open it I got the standard gatekeeper, gate but control-clicked that badboy and opened.

It is saying "Damaged and must be moved to trash" and then my options are "Move to Trash" or "Cancel"... everytime.

Reaction score
Just downloaded it and ran it. Ran fine (I have gatekeeper turned off).
Could be some other problem too. Where did you get it? Got mine from Macupdate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was downloading it from Monolingual
I've just tried downloading it from MacUpdate and now this is the problem:
When I click download, it is downloading a "download.html" file instead of the .dmg.
Any ideas?

I opened the .html file and it brought me to sourceforge... which of course then brought the same prompt of "Damaged..."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I installed MacUpdate Desktop and was able to do it that way... strange though.
Very cool app this MacUpdate... thanks for that! :)

But again, it is working so thank you again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Make sure you read the Monolingual FAQ at his site.

Some apps like recent MS Office and Adobe suites need to be exempted to save update problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.