Yet Another Newbie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27ins i7
Hi everyone,

Yes I am one of the ever increasing number of PC converts

I have been involved with PC's since 1978 a long time. However having almost reached retiremant age I felt it ws time for my heart to rule my financial head.

I have just ordered an i7 iMac. I already have an iphone and several ipods(whole family)

I have some questions I hope you experts out there can help wiyj

I have just ordered photoshop pCS4 premium to gt me a replacement for my photoshop 7 and front page Irun a web site for local rugby club supporters Worcester Warriors GP.

I designed the web site using front page and use smart ftp to manage the site. I also take and manipulate the images

I suppose I will have to learn dreamweaver.
Question :

1. What is a good FTP package (ftp client)
2. What is a good personal finance package to replace quicken
3. What is a good geneolagy package to replace Familytree Maker (reunion)
4. What is apperture like for managing emails
5. Is there an autoroute package for the mac
a big enough list to start with

Thanks

JP

Reaction score
1. What is a good FTP package (ftp client)
2. What is a good personal finance package to replace quicken
3. What is a good geneolagy package to replace Familytree Maker (reunion)
4. What is apperture like for managing emails
5. Is there an autoroute package for the mac
a big enough list to start with

1. Transmit
2, 3- don't know
4. Aperture is not an e-mail program. Mail is included in your Applications folder and does very well.
5. Google Maps?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27ins i7
I thoght aperture came with Office 2008 as microsoft did not have a mac version og outlook. I hear there is one in the pipeline later this year

JP

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I thoght aperture came with Office 2008 as microsoft did not have a mac version og outlook. I hear there is one in the pipeline later this year

JP

This is Aperture. It's for photography not email.

You are probably thinking of Microsoft Entourage.

You don't need an FTP client if you use dreamweaver. It has one built right in.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27ins i7
good news CR.

With the built in ftp can you see your computer files in a page and drag and drop into a folder on your web space as you can withsmartftp

Is entourage any good?

JP

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
good news CR.

With the built in ftp can you see your computer files in a page and drag and drop into a folder on your web space as you can withsmartftp

Is entourage any good?

JP

You have to try it yourself before you can say if it's good or not. It's that way with everything. I personally never used Entourage nor do I plan to ever touch any Microsoft software for a long time.

As for the Ftp. Yes.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27ins i7
More help Please

I have taken the step to move to the computer I have coveted for many years. I have worked with PC for many years due to companies structure, but no semi retired I have purchased a 27" i7 iMac

However I know I am going to need lots of help and hope you guys can help me.

I have purchased student edition of CS4 Design Premium, Student Office and reunion 3 pieces of softeare I will use a lot.

There are another 2 areas I need advice on:

An ftp program I use smartftp at the moment and would like a similar program for the mac. I use dreamweaver and front page to design and construct websites for myself, family and friends. Transmit has been suggested

The other one I need is a replacement for Quicken on my PC. Although intuit do not support the uk anymore I need soemthing along their lines iBank has been suggested.

Can you guys help me out please

By the way I am in the UK

JP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why do you need an FTP program, when Dreamweaver has one built into it?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27ins i7
I want to be able to drag and drop from my hard drive to the webn space I am working on, on the same screen. It could be several web spaces. Smartftp gave me that facility.

I do not believe I can do that with Dreamweavers ftp as it is setup to upload the whole website to the webspace not just individual files and im ages

JP

Reaction score
I have purchased student edition of CS4 Design Premium, Student Office and reunion 3 pieces of softeare I will use a lot.
JP
Hi there,
Have you considered, instead of using MS Office, that you could be using either Open Office or Neo Office?
Both of these products are totally free and more importantly (to me, at least :D), totally MS compatible.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to be able to drag and drop from my hard drive to the webn space I am working on, on the same screen. It could be several web spaces. Smartftp gave me that facility.

I do not believe I can do that with Dreamweavers ftp as it is setup to upload the whole website to the webspace not just individual files and im ages

JP

Dreamweaver, I'm pretty sure it's smart enough to only update files that are new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27ins i7
Thanks for all your replies.

Can't wait to get my new imac

On order now for 10 days and counting. Its like getting a Christmas present and not being able to play

JP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.