• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I'm Getting Disgusted W/ Baseball

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
So after watching the worst World Series I have ever seen in my 24 years of existence, watching umpires botch obvious calls, and a 3 inning game...I'm left scratching my head.

#1. The 3 inning game. Look, I'm not going to lie; I'm a Rays fan. Regardless, the fact this game started in the 7th was absolutely ridiculous. Can you imagine if the Rays won, and then ended up winning the World Series? I would be SO IRATE if I was a Phillies fan. You had the game, gave up a run to have it tied, and then wasn't able to respond to it. I can actually say for the sake of Baseball, I'm glad the Phillies won this tonight. The game should've been a 9 inning game. Who cares if the score was tied? It's essentially 0-0 - Mind you the bottom of the 7th wasn't played until today...Yeah the game originally started on Monday too...

#2. The umpiring. DO YOU KNOW HOW TO CALL STRIKES? DO YOU KNOW HOW TO DO YOUR JOB. A BALL DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE PLATE THAT IS IN BETWEEN THE MAN'S UNIFORM LETTERS AND KNEES IS A STRIKE, NOT A BALL. JIMMY ROLLINS WAS OUT, WHOMEVER THAT GUY WAS PITCHING AT THE TIME FOR THE PHILLIES, BALKED. CARL CRAWFORD WAS OUT. It seems as the years go by, the umpires get dumber and dumber. They really need instant replay in baseball.

#3. The stadiums. The fact this game was even delayed is utterly ridiculous. Baseball is the only sport besides tennis that gets suspended by weather. (Don't even mention golf. I don't consider whacking a ball around a course a sport .It's a leisure activity. it involves no athletic ability)
Anyways, why are ball clubs allowed to spend millions upon millions of dollars to have these freakin open roofed ballparks WHEN IT ALWAYS RAINS UP NORTH. Yeah the Minnesota Twins are moving out of their domed ballpark to an open-roofed stadium. Mmmm I bet it'll be great the next time they're in the World Series. Considering baseball goes into late October, I'm sure it'll be fun playing in near sub zero weather with the chance of snow. There should be a rule that if you're going to build a new stadium, it needs to at least have a retractable roof or you know what? PLAY IN THE WEATHER. They do in Football and that's a CERTAINLY more physical game than baseball...

But hey, congrats to the Phillies. I'm glad you guys won, otherwise I wouldn't blame their fans if they asassinated the bumbling oaf of a commissioner named Bud Seilig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Baseball sucks to begin with, you want to talk about no athletic ability .... one of the MAJOR athletes in the history of your sport was the fattest man on earth (Babe Ruth). All they do is wait, wait, wait, sprint, wait, wait, wait, hit a ball, sprint, wait, wait ..... lol. I grew up playing sports, and still do (hockey, lacrosse, soccer, martial arts), but really didn't have any kind interest in such a boring game.

Sorry, I really don't like baseball. So, in my opinion, just give up on it now. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
baseball is a game, it's fun to play :D

and this coming from a hockey, football, rugby, soccer player and wrestler in younger days :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro|MacBooks|iPhones|iPods|iPad
Okay...I understand your frustration and I hate cliches but all of the things you mentioned are "part of the game". And they have been part of the game for more than 100 years!

Your number 1 complaint would be completely understandable if this was not so rare. This was the first time in the history of baseball that a playoff game was suspended due to weather. And you can't move all baseball games inside...that would suck worse than a rain delay. I couldn't imagine having to sacrifice all of the great weather to watch a game in just because there is an off chance of a rain out. And not every team/city can afford a retractable roof stadium.

As for the umps...well they always botch calls and this is not going to change. The strike zone will always change from one ump to the next and unless there are robots making the call then there will be human error...it is inevitable.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So after watching the worst World Series I have ever seen in my 24 years of existence, watching umpires botch obvious calls, and a 3 inning game...I'm left scratching my head.

#1. The 3 inning game. Look, I'm not going to lie; I'm a Rays fan. Regardless, the fact this game started in the 7th was absolutely ridiculous. Can you imagine if the Rays won, and then ended up winning the World Series? I would be SO IRATE if I was a Phillies fan. You had the game, gave up a run to have it tied, and then wasn't able to respond to it. I can actually say for the sake of Baseball, I'm glad the Phillies won this tonight. The game should've been a 9 inning game. Who cares if the score was tied? It's essentially 0-0 - Mind you the bottom of the 7th wasn't played until today...Yeah the game originally started on Monday too...

I agree. It was a tie, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway. They should have just started a new game.

#2. The umpiring. DO YOU KNOW HOW TO CALL STRIKES? DO YOU KNOW HOW TO DO YOUR JOB. A BALL DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE PLATE THAT IS IN BETWEEN THE MAN'S UNIFORM LETTERS AND KNEES IS A STRIKE, NOT A BALL. JIMMY ROLLINS WAS OUT, WHOMEVER THAT GUY WAS PITCHING AT THE TIME FOR THE PHILLIES, BALKED. CARL CRAWFORD WAS OUT. It seems as the years go by, the umpires get dumber and dumber. They really need instant replay in baseball.

I didn't see any calls that I thought were outlandish. Of course, this happens at every major game when there's a lot riding on the judgment of another. As a spectator, your perspective is skewed by camera angles. You simply have to give the ump the benefit of the doubt - since they are actually there, behind the plate.

#3. The stadiums. The fact this game was even delayed is utterly ridiculous. Baseball is the only sport besides tennis that gets suspended by weather. (Don't even mention golf. I don't consider whacking a ball around a course a sport .It's a leisure activity. it involves no athletic ability)
Anyways, why are ball clubs allowed to spend millions upon millions of dollars to have these freakin open roofed ballparks WHEN IT ALWAYS RAINS UP NORTH. Yeah the Minnesota Twins are moving out of their domed ballpark to an open-roofed stadium. Mmmm I bet it'll be great the next time they're in the World Series. Considering baseball goes into late October, I'm sure it'll be fun playing in near sub zero weather with the chance of snow. There should be a rule that if you're going to build a new stadium, it needs to at least have a retractable roof or you know what? PLAY IN THE WEATHER. They do in Football and that's a CERTAINLY more physical game than baseball...

I have to disagree with you there. If you can't run in the rain sodden turf, can't field a ball because it's too slippery, and can't see the ball with the rain pouring down on your face, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to play. I don't particularly care about what other sports do - it doesn't make it right. My only complaint is that they didn't suspend that game earlier. It was ridiculously windy, in addition to the fact that it was practically raining sideways. Since I live about 2.5 hours from Philly, I can tell you that it was not a good evening to be outside, let alone playing in the World Series.

As far as open stadiums are concerned, it's a matter of tradition. Like it or not, MLB is a very old organization. I think they said last night that the Phillies have been around for 126 years (!). This is how the game was meant to be played - and if they need to delay a game because of weather, so be it.

BTW, it rains just as much, if not more, in Florida as it does in the northeast.

But hey, congrats to the Phillies. I'm glad you guys won, otherwise I wouldn't blame their fans if they asassinated the bumbling oaf of a commissioner named Bud Seilig.

BTW, not necessarily a Phillies fan, but glad to see they won - they were due.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Baseball sucks to begin with, you want to talk about no athletic ability .... one of the MAJOR athletes in the history of your sport was the fattest man on earth (Babe Ruth). All they do is wait, wait, wait, sprint, wait, wait, wait, hit a ball, sprint, wait, wait ..... lol. I grew up playing sports, and still do (hockey, lacrosse, soccer, martial arts), but really didn't have any kind interest in such a boring game.

Sorry, I really don't like baseball. So, in my opinion, just give up on it now. ;)

Agree with you there! It's fun to play, boring to watch. Over paid for what they do, and as mentioned, won't play in the rain. If they're such great athletes, why not? Make the game interesting. They have enough money to buy new mitts afterwards.
And why do they have sooo many innings and games? It actually affects the NFL that share stadiums. 7 games is it for the WS? 9 innings ? Why? Isn't 3 or 5 games and 5 innings enough? To me, they strecth it all out to make more money. Don't even get me started on 9 vs 1 player... (all IMO) ;)

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
No you know what else drives me nuts?
If they actually played the playoff games earlier, there wouldnt've been a problem. But since MLB is a slave to Television, these games get played late at night. Remember, game 4 was delayed and it didn't get over until 1AM...
...I dunno....Things have to change..That's just how I see it.
These stadiums need to be retractable roof stadiums.
Minnesota should've not been allowed to have an open-field stadium. IT'S MINNESOTA!! Yeah it's nice in the summer, but what about the spring and fall??? It's flippin cold up there during those times!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
No you know what else drives me nuts?
If they actually played the playoff games earlier, there wouldnt've been a problem. But since MLB is a slave to Television, these games get played late at night. Remember, game 4 was delayed and it didn't get over until 1AM...
...I dunno....Things have to change..That's just how I see it.
These stadiums need to be retractable roof stadiums.
Minnesota should've not been allowed to have an open-field stadium. IT'S MINNESOTA!! Yeah it's nice in the summer, but what about the spring and fall??? It's flippin cold up there during those times!

And that's an understatement! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wait, so now it's a hardship to sit in 40 - 60 degree weather?

it may say Tucson, but I grew up well north of Minneapolis ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I'm not a fan of baseball, but I do recognize that the sport does require skill to play. Imagine trying to hit a baseball blazing towards you at 100+ mph. You can't tell me that doesn't require skill to do well. I also believe that many people don't appreciate the grace, strength, and finess it takes to throw a ball across the field like many of the outfielders are required to do repeatedly throughout a 9 inning game.
It also takes a lot of physical punishment to sprint from a cold start, and to properly slide/stop at a base takes physical training and skill.

Other than that, I do agree that baseball is boring to watch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody

60 and under is COLD!!

I am a born and raised Florida boy, South Florida too, so yes, it is freaking freezing!!!! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wear a muff.

Next!

:D

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

No.

What's the weather like now in Minnesota?
Cold.
They don't call Lambeau field in Wisconsin "The Tundra" for nothing....And they only play 2 more months into the climate than baseball.
Sorry, it's pure insanity to me that Minnesota has an open-roof stadium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No.

What's the weather like now in Minnesota?
Cold.
They don't call Lambeau field in Wisconsin "The Tundra" for nothing....And they only play 2 more months into the climate than baseball.
Sorry, it's pure insanity to me that Minnesota has an open-roof stadium.
I grew up about 6 hours north of Lambeau :D :D :D :D

It's warm in both Minneapolis and Green Bay ;)

BTW, high today in Minneapolis is 67 degrees, that's shorts weather

Oh hey! and the low is about the same as the low here for today! (normally, we're hotter than normal still)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
cwa407 said:
I didn't see any calls that I thought were outlandish. Of course, this happens at every major game when there's a lot riding on the judgment of another. As a spectator, your perspective is skewed by camera angles. You simply have to give the ump the benefit of the doubt - since they are actually there, behind the plate.

did you not see when Longoria made the tag out at third base with his glove in the runner's butt crack. the runner was called safe by the umpire. the only way he could have gotten any closer to tagging him would to have tagged him in the prostate. the umpires behind the plate didnt know what a strike zone was. and that went for both teams.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
did you not see when Longoria made the tag out at third base with his glove in the runner's butt crack. the runner was called safe by the umpire. the only way he could have gotten any closer to tagging him would to have tagged him in the prostate. the umpires behind the plate didnt know what a strike zone was. and that went for both teams.

OK, I'll agree with you on that one, but I'm not going to make a judgment on the strike zone, given the fact that I was watching it on TV.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA! LOL @ PROSTATE....

Wow I LOL-ed hard.

It's a shame this world series had so many retards participating in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Ya, you betcha dere! Da furder up nort ya go, the colder she gets, ya?

All I can say is, spring and fall are my favorite times of year. No humidity and insects, no snow and sub-zero temperatures. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.