Mom got a Macbook Pro 15

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Basically a newer version of the machine I have - a refurb.
My question is, should I set her up with Camino or Safari?
She has a whole bunch of things to sell on eBay and I want to make sure there aren't any compatibility problems. I have noticed a few strange things with eBay and Camino but that was a few months back.
Also, I have a FB470LL/A - refurb. What is the equivalent non-refurb model? Just replace the F with an M? That would make this an early 2008 right?

C

chas_m

Safari would probably be best -- since it has a much larger pool of users, if she should happen to run into an issue (unlikely), she has a larger pool of expertise to draw on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Safari is still the ace browser out there. I was tempted by the new version of Firefox, but after using it for a while I realized how much faster Safari is. Funny how speed seems to mean everything when surfing the internet.

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Safari is still the ace browser out there. I was tempted by the new version of Firefox, but after using it for a while I realized how much faster Safari is. Funny how speed seems to mean everything when surfing the internet.

Logical.
How do I import all the Firefox/Camino bookmarks into Safari?

Another part of my plan is to set her up with an AIM account and get her on iChat. That way If the need arises she can get on there and I can remote to her desktop and show her how to do something.
I figure overall I'm a good son, but I did get her an HP laptop that died a month afte the warranty expired... right when she needed it. So maybe I have some catching up to do!
I may take a job that requires a good amount of travel - all over the world for months at a time - which I haven't discusses with her yet. That's why I'm somewhat hellbent on getting her on iChat.
When one uses iChat to remote into another Mac desktop, the desktop on the client's side is visible, right? Is there a way I can remote in and just view making her point and click?

C

chas_m

Logical.

Safari can import Firefox bookmarks.

When one uses iChat to remote into another Mac desktop, the desktop on the client's side is visible, right? Is there a way I can remote in and just view making her point and click?

Yes. When Screen Sharing, audio communication between the parties continues to work. You can also "take over" the mouse, but you're right to think that you should GUIDE her and let her do it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
I really like Safari, but I haven't tried the Mac version of Firefox. I like that it is fast, and all the Mac shortcuts work with it. It works just like everything else in OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc

Export them from Firefox first (Bookmarks-->Organize bookmarks-->Import and backup-->Export HTML) then import from Safari (don't have it my Windows laptop unfortunately; shouldn't be that hard to figure out how to exactly).

Yes. Apple - Mac OS X - What is Mac OS X - iChat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I've been running Chrome and I've noticed that Chrome puts Safari to shame in the speed of loading actual web pages. Safari boots faster, but Chrome smokes it in quickness in the actual web.

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
What about Thunderbird 3 vs. Mail.app?
She uses gmail and I want SSL encryption enabled on the IMAP connections. She uses what I would consider "untrusted" LANs.
She is used to Thunderbird. I'm asking about mail.app because back in the day Outlook Express would pop up as the default mail reader in Windows causing mass confusion. If SL has a tendency to just revert to mail.app I will have her use that.
Changing the default mail reader to Tbird was somewhat of a hemmeroid. I'm actually not particularly fond of Tbird 3. I liked Tbird because it was relatively simple - the way an email app should be.
I send emails in plaintext! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
Ive been using Firefox. I find initially it takes a little longer to fire up, but once its up it runs perfect.

Added bonus of a wide range of addons too that I was already familiar with on my Windows OS.

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Ive been using Firefox. I find initially it takes a little longer to fire up, but once its up it runs perfect.

Added bonus of a wide range of addons too that I was already familiar with on my Windows OS.

I'm using Safari now and it seems slower than Camino.
I'm torn.

M

MacInWin

I'd recommend if she's using Firefox now, to stick with it. The latest version is pretty quick at rendering pages, and to me seems very competitive with Safari. Same argument with Thunderbird. If she's comfortable with it, stick with it. You don't want to have to teach her new software by remote control!

C

chas_m

What about Thunderbird 3 vs. Mail.app?

Again, there really isn't a good reason to go "off the reservation" on default apps unless you have a specific purpose in doing so.

She is used to Thunderbird.

I'd still say have her give Mail a spin unless there are strong objections. Nothing against TB, but Mail is no slouch and was *designed for the Mac.*

If SL has a tendency to just revert to mail.app I will have her use that.

I've never known a system to "revert" once the mail client choice has been set, but yes Mail is the "default app" for this so logically it should be the first one tried, using other ones only if it is not satisfactory to your workflow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.