Safari 3.1 Single Window Mode! Must See

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
OK, this is amazing.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/app...ari-3-1-includes-hidden-one-window-preference

If like me you always used Firefox on Windows (or maybe on your Mac too), one thing that will annoy you about Safari will be the fact it defaults to opening new (away) links in a new window. Not any longer, as Safari 3.1 allows you to switch on Single Window Mode, but only via the terminal :eek:

To get Safari to create tabs rather than windows, fire up Terminal, enter defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true, and restart Safari.

Be warned, it's not 100% stable apparently, so use with caution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
thanks for that, have run that command in Terminal

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Nice find, + vrep :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Wow, I always assumed there was an option to open web links in tabs instead, but I never wanted to do it. I can't believe something so obvious and simple hasn't been possible in Safari until now, and that even now it's so difficult to make happen. Is there a reason why Apple hasn't offered this option before?

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has seemed as though Apple have pretty much wanted you to browse the web their way, not your own way. I am not sure if this is just a Webkit feature that Apple has not disabled properly, or whether it's planned to be a user feature but they've hidden it until it's a little more stable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.
Wow, I always assumed there was an option to open web links in tabs instead, but I never wanted to do it. I can't believe something so obvious and simple hasn't been possible in Safari until now, and that even now it's so difficult to make happen. Is there a reason why Apple hasn't offered this option before?
Command + click?
Or am I missing something?

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Command + click?
Or am I missing something?

You're missing something... it's been debated a few times before and believe it or not, some people are unhappy about the extra step (command). :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.
You're missing something... it's been debated a few times before and believe it or not, some people are unhappy about the extra step (command). :D

After a bit of thinkig (as nobody explained what's this all about in this thread) ...
Does that mean that:
- every clicked link opens in new tab (bad)
- or links that woul have opened in new window open in new tab instead (good)
- or something else?

EDIT: google is my friend (and clicking link in thread helps too) ... Got it now ... :Blushing:

Reaction score
Most excellent! Worked like a champ. And just this past weekend I enabled Button 3 on my mouse. This command line is a much better solution as I keep forgetting to push Button 3.

Now if only they'd get that bookmark-sorting thing worked out...

James

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.