Automating Automator?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Thanks to MacHeadCase I've figured out how to add things to the Login Items, allowing programs to open & such, but I've now run into another wall. I've created an Automator script to map my network shares, and it works great, but I am really lazy and want it to do it fully automatically, not just popping up Automator and me still having to hit the Run button. I've tried the "Hide" option in the Login Items, but that just opens Automator and hides it, adding another step to get all of my stuff done.

Any insight here would be appreciated, the help file doesn't seem to be of much help, and search didn't provide anything useful, either.

M

MacHeadCase

I think instead of adding Automator itself, you maybe could add the Automator script you created to your Login Items?

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's actually what I did, but it just opens the script with Automator, still forcing me to hit the Run button to make it work. :(

M

MacHeadCase

Can you incorporate in that script something like autorun or a command that would launch the script upon starting it? Maybe they'd know exactly how this could be done right here.

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright I just tried something new, on a whim, and it worked. I tried saving my workflow as an application, and adding that application to the login items. Doing this worked, so now when I login my network shares are mapped and I have them on my desktop, ready to use. :bone:

M

MacHeadCase

AHAH! You are now Mac-Forums Automator Expert!
icon12.gif

Good one, nukemm!

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AHAH! You are now Mac-Forums Automator Expert!
icon12.gif

Good one, nukemm!

Uh-oh. Someone called me an expert. I think I need a new house to make room for my big head :mac:

At the very least I'll be adding a step-by-step article to my problems thread.

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.