Windows User Here !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5 2.66GHz - RAM 4GB - OS X Snow Leopard
Hi Guys

I'm new here, and I am getting fed up with Windows; surprise surprise !!

So I wanted to get a taste of the Mac before actually buying one (still not saved the money by the way).

I went to my University's IT Department and there, they have a couple of iMacs for students to use. So I logged in, I thought I'd be blown away .. but I wasn't :( Here is what I did not like:

1) Microsoft Word (Mac Version) took aaages to open, 10x as long as it does on my PC at home.
2) After browsing Safari for 1 minute .. it crashed ! :( I got a little pop-up saying Safari stopped unexpectedly and gave me an option to ReLaunch !!
3) I couldn't make things Full Screen !! the Safari refused to do it ! But Adobe Photoshop Did !!

I visted my favourite website (kurdsportal) and the whole site looked a mess because Safari wouldn't maximize and so the whole forum on kurdsportal was squashed and real ugly to look at .. where as in IE on Windows it looks beautiful and neat ! :(

Are there solutions to these things I noticed today ?

PS: it was my first time EVER to use a Mac.

I await your replies.

Thank You. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you want OSX to be like Windows, it will never be. I would stick with a Windows system and bypass the Mac. OSX uses Windows and not full screens. You can drag Safari and make it pretty much full screen, but it does not work like Windows where everything takes up the whole screen if you hit maximize. There is no Maximize on OSX.

Safari crashing could be issues with the machine you were using. Sometimes even Firefox on a Windows system crashes, but it's rare.

Is there an Apple Store near you? I would go try a Mac there and see if things are any better for you.

I am not sure how long you think is 10X, but even on slower Macs here Word does not take that long. That machine needs some help it sounds like!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You also gave no specs on the machine, so it's difficult to say what could have caused the minor issues with Safari crashing and Word's startup time.

Granted, Macs in IT departments are rarely ever monitored, have updates applied to them and are generally not taken care of.
This is usually what leads to many IT professionals' poor view of the Mac.
They don't know how to take care of them, or they are too lazy to do so.
What results is a machine that doesn't run anywhere near its potential.

Regarding "fullscreenitis":
There has to be a problem for a solution to be available.
There is no need for any window of any application of any operating system to monopolize the entire height and width of the available display.
I don't even do this on my Windows machine at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
AS has been said, that may be an older iMac that has never been maintained, imagine your opinion of Windows if you were given an old windows box, with no patches or updates that just ran horribly, not because the machine or the OS was bad, but because it has had no care.

Best off going in to an Apple store and giving them a try there.

If you dont like it then stick to Windows and consider a new PC with Windows 7 installed

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi Guys

What are you fed up with?

As already suggested, definitely go to an Apple Store & try the Macs out there, which are better maintained than the Mac you tried...before you make a final decision or judgement.

- Nick

Reaction score
That is pretty much the case for any Macs at any campus IT store that I have ever been to. The one in my school just sits there day in and day out without anybody maintaining it. It stills runs on 10.5.6 for the most part, and nobody cares to take care of it. That is what you get with campus IT stores I suppose, they are usually that way.

If you really want to know how using a Mac is like, go to someone who already has a Mac, or go to the Apple Store. I usually try to give a very objective view of what my Mac can and cannot do. At the end of the day, I always tell people that it is a big investment in terms of money, and be ready to learn a new operating system before buying a Mac. If you are not comfortable with what you are experiencing right now with a Mac, I'd advise against buying one at all.

OP
Ciwan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Granted, Macs in IT departments are rarely ever monitored, have updates applied to them and are generally not taken care of.
This is usually what leads to many IT professionals' poor view of the Mac.
They don't know how to take care of them, or they are too lazy to do so.
What results is a machine that doesn't run anywhere near its potential

I think you are right there !! I say this because a week ago when I tried going on the iMac at my Uni, I was unable to login with my Uni Username and Password. So I called the Uni's IT 24/7 Support Line and a lady said she was going to come down to take a look at the problem. When she came .. she couldn't do anything and so she said I'll report it to the technicians, then she added:

I don't know why they got us so many Macs, everyone here uses PC, a waste of money

I just watched her leave and didn't say a word lol ! So I think you are right .. they do not look after them.

Now regarding the internet browser window being small .. that is a problem because like I said .. my favourite website look CRAP all squashed up like that ! lol

D

danielb

I know this is a Mac forum but if you want to try an alternative to Windows, you could try Linux. I use Ubuntu with much success. I actually run it inside a VM on my Mac and you could do the same on your windows machine. Try getting Sun's Virtual Box and install Ubuntu. It's all FREE!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1) Microsoft Word (Mac Version) took aaages to open, 10x as long as it does on my PC at home.

It was probably Office 2004, which is PPC only and uses Rosetta emulation to run. Office 2008 is noticeably quicker - not that I would recommend Microsoft Office if you can get away with an alternative.

2) After browsing Safari for 1 minute .. it crashed ! :( I got a little pop-up saying Safari stopped unexpectedly and gave me an option to ReLaunch !!

Despite repeated attempts to try to get used to it, my well-informed opinion is that Safari sucks, period. I use Firefox on all platforms and have always been very satisfied with it.

3) I couldn't make things Full Screen !! the Safari refused to do it ! But Adobe Photoshop Did !!

The green button is not a maximize button. It's considered a zoom tool. It will only size the window up large enough to display the content within it. This is a big pet peeve of most former Windows users, it's just something you have to get used to. Not all apps behave this way - the zoom button works as a maximize button for Firefox.

I visted my favourite website (kurdsportal) and the whole site looked a mess because Safari wouldn't maximize and so the whole forum on kurdsportal was squashed and real ugly to look at .. where as in IE on Windows it looks beautiful and neat ! :(

OK, being a Windows user I understand - but I know of very few savvy Windows users that still bother with the mess that is IE. I think your first step to alleviate your pain should be to switch to Firefox. Be sure to download Ad Block Plus (a Firefox add-on) to really enhance your browsing experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.26ghz, 4gb ram, 250 gb hard drive
Switching to mac from a windows system, you will encounter some things to get used to, but overall i think you will be pleased, IF and when you decide to make the switch. I still use my windows desktop for somethings, but overall i prefer using my Mac much more. Which model were you considering purchasing? Also some Applications DO allow for full screen in their menus.

Reaction score
Been there, got used to NOT having a single problem!

Hi Guys

So I wanted to get a taste of the Mac before actually buying one (still not saved the money by the way).

I went to my University's IT Department and there, they have a couple of iMacs for students to use. So I logged in, I thought I'd be blown away .. but I wasn't :( Here is what I did not like:

PS: it was my first time EVER to use a Mac.

I await your replies.

Thank You. :)

1) It was probably old, and if I were you, Apple's own iWork '09 and Neo Office are good alternatives. I don't like anything from Microsoft these days.

2) The computer was probably ill-maintained, and Safari was probably an older version.

3) Some applications allow for it, but really, there isn't a maximize in OS X. However, you can run Windows on newer Mac's! The Mac you probably saw was an older one.

4) And at the bottom right corner is a place where you can drag to enlarge the window manually. If you really want full screen, drag the window out, then tell the Dock to hide (Opt.-Command-D), and then you'll figure it out from there.

OP
Ciwan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you guys saying FireFox does Maximize in Mac ?

Because I always use FireFox and nothing else !

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Are you guys saying FireFox does Maximize in Mac ?

Because I always use FireFox and nothing else !

Everything does... as Chris H explained, you just position the mouse pointer on the bottom right corner of the window you want to maximize, and drag it out, and every time you open the application, it will open as you left it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Dont understand what you mean by squashed up and a mess?

Just had a look on my 13" screen and it looked clean and crisp, and could read the screen without a problem 2mtrs away. Was in Safari as well, fitted to screen size.

OP
Ciwan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tattooedmac you've got to be kidding me ! LOL

The one at University was more like 17" and it looked crap in it !

I guess the best thing would be if I go to a Mac Shop and try a Mac there.

I live in Huddersfield, and we do not have a Mac shop here :( I am going to have to go to Sheffield.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.