Installing more ram in a mid2007 IMac

Reaction score
Hi,
first of all, I like to introduce myself to the forum, my name is Anders, coming from Norway, - and I'm new to this forum.

"Trouble" is I have a mid 2007 IMac. I desperately need to put more internal memory in it (only 1 GB now).
I see that MacTracker says it's possible to put 6 GB in it, but Apple only says 4.

Could someone confirm that this will be the right ones for me?_

Crucial DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 2GB CL5
Non-ECC, 1.8V, 256Mx64, 200pin
+
Crucial DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 4GB CL5
Non-ECC, 1.8V, 512Mx64, 200pin

or should I settle for 2GBX2???

I've heard somewhere that memory should be mounted as pairs. Is that right?
If so, should I go for the 2GBX2?

I urgently need some advice on these issue. Any help would be highly apprecaoted.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hi,
first of all, I like to introduce myself to the forum, my name is Anders, coming from Norway, - and I'm new to this forum.

"Trouble" is I have a mid 2007 IMac. I desperately need to put more internal memory in it (only 1 GB now).
I see that MacTracker says it's possible to put 6 GB in it, but Apple only says 4.

Could someone confirm that this will be the right ones for me?_

Crucial DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 2GB CL5
Non-ECC, 1.8V, 256Mx64, 200pin
+
Crucial DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 4GB CL5
Non-ECC, 1.8V, 512Mx64, 200pin

or should I settle for 2GBX2???

I've heard somewhere that memory should be mounted as pairs. Is that right?
If so, should I go for the 2GBX2?

I urgently need some advice on these issue. Any help would be highly apprecaoted.

Linky.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

But from what I see on the site there should be no problem putting a 4GB and a 2GB together...(?) Is this right?

This is correct.

Generally speaking you will get slightly better performance from matched pairs (2x2gig)...and purchasing 1x2gig + 1x4gig...is more expensive (cost/gigabyte).

For example in the U.S.:

- 2x2gig = $55 (cost/gig = $13.75)
- 1x2gig + 1x4gig = $120 (cost/gig = $20.00)

But if you need or want a total of 6gig of ram...then 1x2gig + 1x4gig is what you have to do!:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
This is correct.

Generally speaking you will get slightly better performance from matched pairs (2x2gig)...and purchasing 1x2gig + 1x4gig...is more expensive (cost/gigabyte).

For example in the U.S.:

- 2x2gig = $55 (cost/gig = $13.75)
- 1x2gig + 1x4gig = $120 (cost/gig = $20.00)

But if you need or want a total of 6gig of ram...then 1x2gig + 1x4gig is what you have to do!:)

- Nick

Thank you for answering!
I just wonder;
Does that mean that I'll get only slightly better performance if buying 2GB+4GB than 2X2 GB?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does that mean that I'll get only slightly better performance if buying 2GB+4GB than 2X2 GB?

If by performance you mean "speed"...this is usually not the way ram upgrades work.

Since you only have 1gig of ram currently...whether you upgrade to 4gig or 6gig you will see some speed increases (things relating to the OS will seem snappier). But after a certain point more ram does not equal more speed or "snappiness". Speed is related to the cpu & graphics hardware...which are not upgradable on most Macintosh computers.

What more ram does help with is allowing you to open more applications simultaneously...or allowing individuals apps/programs access to more ram that they may need to run more efficiently.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
If by performance you mean "speed"...this is usually not the way ram upgrades work.

Since you only have 1gig of ram currently...whether you upgrade to 4gig or 6gig you will see some speed increases (things relating to the OS will seem snappier). But after a certain point more ram does not equal more speed or "snappiness". Speed is related to the cpu & graphics hardware...which are not upgradable on most Macintosh computers.

What more ram does help with is allowing you to open more applications simultaneously...or allowing individuals apps/programs access to more ram that they may need to run more efficiently.

HTH,

- Nick

I am going to do some editing in IMovie. And I DO remember how "heavy" that was the last I did that with 1 GB only so this is definitely the main reason I want more ram...

My question will therefore be:
Will I experience when working in IMovie, that the program works "better", "faster", "smoother" even if I only upgrade to 4GB?
´
will there be any difference worth paying for, to install 6 rather than 4GB?

Crossing my fingers and hoping to hear from you;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
will there be any difference worth paying for, to install 6 rather than 4GB?

System requirements for iMovie 11 (if this is the version you will be using)...you will be fine with 4gig.

System requirements for Apple's iLife '11 | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

As I mentioned earlier...more ram (6 gig) will simply allow you to open more apps simultaneously without a performance decrease. But as I also mentioned...6gig will cost a good bit more than 4gig (of course this depends on your budget).

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
System requirements for iMovie 11 (if this is the version you will be using)...you will be fine with 4gig.

System requirements for Apple's iLife '11 | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

As I mentioned earlier...more ram (6 gig) will simply allow you to open more apps simultaneously without a performance decrease. But as I also mentioned...6gig will cost a good bit more than 4gig (of course this depends on your budget).

- Nick

Thank you for all help! And you saved me some money as well;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.