Memory Question (Using PC Memory in Mac Pro)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jan 08 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 Core, 10GB Ram, 2.25TB, ATi Radeon 3870.
Yep, just like it says up above, and I feel really ashamed to ask this since I've been working with computers for like 10 years now (all PC's, no Mac's). I'm picking up a Mac Pro in a few weeks and I'm not paying apple a ton of money for their ram. I've been searching around NewEgg and found some great deals on PC2-5300 memory in the PC department and was wondering if this would work for me.

I would probably be looking to get 4-6gb of memory (using the computer for video editing) on top of the 1gb that is already installed. On my PB G4 I used some standard PC2700 memory (PNY 2x1GB I believe) that I picked up from best buy for cheap and it seems to work fine.

Here is one the good deals I found on NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231119

The brand is G.SKILL. Should I stick with Kingston or PNY or Crucial or would it not be a big deal? Thanks for helping a Mac newb out.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro? Makes a difference as both use very different RAM. If you really are getting a Mac Pro Desktop you need FB-DIMMS.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yeah sorry, Mac Pro desktop.

Ok, then you need FB-DIMMS. Most will work but I have heard issues with a certain brand having issues in the Mac Pro. It's been a long time so maybe that issue does not exist any longer. I know the the Crucial FG-Dimms seem to work well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.