New iMac

Reaction score
Once Steve has finished his Keynote next month I will be hoping to upgrade my current G5 iMac - 17 inch, 1 gig RAM 2ghz (ambient light sensor).

Now assuming no new iMac is coming ( I don't think there will be but you never know) I am a little stumped as to which one to buy. I want a larger screen so it will def be the 20 inch at least but I am liking the look of the 24 inch beast iMac as well.

However, I'd like some advice. Is the extra 4 inches worth all the extra cash? Is it worth the extra cash for the processor upgrade and is the graphics card good enough to power a 24 inch as well as my radeon currently powers my 17 inch.

Does the gig of RAM come on one or two sticks - I hope one as it will be much cheaper to upgrade it later on.

Thanks for the advice and anything else you can think of.

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
The answer to most of what your asking can be answered by visiting an Apple store and looking at the iMacs side by side. Also, if you go to the Apple OL store and look at the iMac specs your RAM question will be answered.

OP
J
Reaction score
The answer to most of what your asking can be answered by visiting an Apple store and looking at the iMacs side by side. Also, if you go to the Apple OL store and look at the iMac specs your RAM question will be answered.

Cheers, thanks for the useful tips. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, 2.0 core 2 duo, 4 GB Ram, 320 GB HD
Once Steve has finished his Keynote next month I will be hoping to upgrade my current G5 iMac - 17 inch, 1 gig RAM 2ghz (ambient light sensor).

Now assuming no new iMac is coming ( I don't think there will be but you never know) I am a little stumped as to which one to buy. I want a larger screen so it will def be the 20 inch at least but I am liking the look of the 24 inch beast iMac as well.

However, I'd like some advice. Is the extra 4 inches worth all the extra cash? Is it worth the extra cash for the processor upgrade and is the graphics card good enough to power a 24 inch as well as my radeon currently powers my 17 inch.

Does the gig of RAM come on one or two sticks - I hope one as it will be much cheaper to upgrade it later on.

Thanks for the advice and anything else you can think of.

Jim

Have you made it to an Apple store yet? I've been trying to decide between the 20" & 24" myself. The 24" is awesome. So is the 20", though. It's just a matter of choosing how much awesome you want in your life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24inch iMac
you know what's weird? At first it took some time getting used to this big screen...Now, I have to admit...I almost don't notice it anymore. Kind of like when you first got that 63" widescreen TV.

OP
J
Reaction score
you know what's weird? At first it took some time getting used to this big screen...Now, I have to admit...I almost don't notice it anymore. Kind of like when you first got that 63" widescreen TV.

Do you think the 24 inch you have worth was the extra cash. I live only 20 mins from an Apple store so have seen them a few times but using one for 10 minutes is not like the advice you can recieve from someone who uses it day in and day out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM
Once I'd seen the 20 and 24 next to eachother, there was no way I could buy the 20 inch. The 24 inch is also full HD resolution - 1920x1200. I don't know if the 20 inch is. All the screen space is actually useful.

I hate squinting at my Sony laptop 14inch widescreen now at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24inch iMac
Do you think the 24 inch you have worth was the extra cash. I live only 20 mins from an Apple store so have seen them a few times but using one for 10 minutes is not like the advice you can recieve from someone who uses it day in and day out.

Hi Jammers--Merry Christmas. I'll be honest with you....cash wasn't really an issue with buying the 24 inch so I cannot respond to your question. I always rationalize extra money, especially if I put it on a credit card!

I do love this computer though....it really is cool having such a big screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Top be honest, if you only got the 20" screen, you'd never think "Oh I wish the screen was just a little bit bigger". It is a very good size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
The 20" is a wonderful size! Be careful where you'll use your new imac because our 20" looks HUGE at our desk (waaaay bigger than in the store). We have an 8' 2 person work center in one of our bedrooms and the 20" is totally awesome and we were glad we didn't get any bigger (although I'm sure it would have been pretty cool too!) I agree with Alexis, we've never wished we got the bigger one. It's all personal preference though.

Reaction score
Top me for a desktop computer like the iMac gertting the biggest and fastest machine you can will always end up being the right thing. I know when I finally purchased a 20" screen for my G5 I thought it was HUGE...now it looks small. So the exrtra 4" you're contemplating should be a no brainer IMO. Just my 2¢.
right_on.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I hate to say it, but take a look at the surroundings your iMac will call home. If a 24" can fit in that area comfortably, do it. You might miss a few hundred $$$, but you won't miss it for long once you get using the big screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
Go with the 24" iMac you won't regret the bigger screen trust me on that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.