Arrange USB files in order?

Reaction score
Hi -- I just bought a new car stereo with a USB port. My thumb drive plugs into it and plays mp3s.

BUT, when I load the songs onto the thumb drive, they do not list in the correct order. Is there a way for me to rearrange them so they play in the order I want?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible they're being sorted in alphabetical order. What you can try is to go into the thumb drive and place a number before each song - in other words, rename the songs by placing a number before them in the order you wish them to play. 00, 01, 02, etc.

OP
A
Reaction score
They *are* being played alphabetically.

But I have a few hundred songs, a bunch of albums, etc.

Numbering won't fully solve the problem because the number will cross from album to album. Also, that's a real headache.

Is there something that will either
A) let me sort them by dragging
B) will sort them ala iTunes?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I understand that it's a headache when you have so many songs. Wish I could help as I have the same problem with my wife's iPOD Nano. I've tried dragging and dropping in order and even used a playlist of sorts. Still they play in alpha order. Maybe someone else can chime in with an idea.

OP
A
Reaction score
I didn't know the ipods have that problem.

I love the idea of just dumping some songs on a cheap flash drive and popping it into the USB. Just wish I could fix this snafu.

Reaction score
This is the 3rd forum this person has posted the same question on, and pretty much received the same answers.
Wonder what's going on......

OP
A
Reaction score
This is the 3rd forum this person has posted the same question on, and pretty much received the same answers.
Wonder what's going on......

I'm pretty sure I was asking for a little assistance from whomever might want to offer it. Pretty sinister, I know.

C

chas_m

Thumb drives are formatted for FAT32 (DOS). MP3 players that accept that sort of imput tend to play in alphabetical order based on the actual filename.

So your options are:
1. Rename all your files to play in the order you want each time, or
2. Buy an iPod like you should have done in the first place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.