Can somebody please help me.....?

Reaction score
I've been all over the internet trying to find a solution to this problem.

I have my 13" Macbook and my HP Desktop. My printer is connected to my HP Desktop. I'm trying to set up printing from my Macbook to my printer. I have tried everything.......and have gotten nothing to work.

My desktop is running Vista Premium and my printer is an HP Deskjet F380.

If anyone can please help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, there probably won't be an easy answer to this. Some printers just don't come with network-friendly drivers for OS X. Your best bet would be to have a look at this FAQ. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alienware,mbp,imac(3),blackjack,Hp running macintosh,
Thats Vista and HP for you Go APPLE

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thats Vista and HP for you Go APPLE

It has absolutely nothing to do with either - rather, it's an inherent weakness in OS X. OS X has no capacity for port redirection like Windows does, so the driver has to handle port config. Since this printer wasn't designed to be networked from the factory, the driver is not made available when attached by any means other than USB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz
This probably won't work, but I'll throw it out there anyway: Do you have a wireless router? If it has a USB plug in the back of it, you could probably plug the printer into it and set it up to print wirelessly. Just make sure you password protect it so someone doesn't connect to your router and print 1,000 pages of nothing to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.