Question about macbook pro 13' battery life

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum and just recently joined. I've used this forum to and read previous post about the benefits of owning a macbook. I went ahead and purchased a 13' macbook pro over the summer and it was one of the best investments I ever made :D

I do have a question about the battery life of my macbook pro. I'm currently using Coconut Battery to check the status of my battery and I'm wondering if my battery needs to be replaced or needs to be seen at the apple store?? :Confused:

My mac is 22 weeks old and has 68 cycles on it.

Current capacity: 5468 mAh
Design capacity: 5770 mAh

94%

When I bought my mac I went ahead and bought the 2 year apple care plan as well. I appreciate any advice. Many thanks in advance!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I do have a question about the battery life of my macbook pro. I'm currently using Coconut Battery to check the status of my battery and I'm wondering if my battery needs to be replaced or needs to be seen at the apple store?? :Confused:

My mac is 22 weeks old and has 68 cycles on it.

Current capacity: 5468 mAh
Design capacity: 5770 mAh

94%

When I bought my mac I went ahead and bought the 2 year apple care plan as well. I appreciate any advice. Many thanks in advance!!!

I'm not 100% sure what your question is...do you know what a battery "cycle" is?

It's very possible (depending on how you use your MacBook Pro)...that in 22 weeks you can/could accumulate "68 battery cycles".

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
I read online about how having 80% battery life with 300 cycles is still good for a macbook. I was just wondering at 68 battery load cycles and with a 94% maximum charge, do I need to go and get it checked out??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I read online about how having 80% battery life with 300 cycles is still good for a macbook. I was just wondering at 68 battery load cycles and with a 94% maximum charge, do I need to go and get it checked out??

Be careful what you read. The battery's on older Apple laptops have an approx. 300 cycle battery life...and on newer Apple laptops the battery life is 1000 cycles.

Also...where did you read "80% battery life with 300 cycles is still good for a macbook"?

If you apply what I mentioned above...with an older (user replaceable battery with a 300 battery cycle life)...there's no way you would have 80% remaining.

If it was a newer laptop (with the non-user replaceable battery with a 1000 cycle battery life)...1000-300 = 700. (700/1000) x 100 = 70%

So 80% versus 70%...I'm sure there's some flexibility between individual batteries. 80% at 300 cycles I would say would be optimistic...since 70% life remaining after 300 cycles is what would be more normally expected.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Just wanted to make sure that there was no problem with my battery life since it was at 95% maximum capacity charge. And I believe I was mistaken about the 300 cycle ordeal. I looked up my battery info online and for my type of battery its the 1000 cycle info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.