Macbook Pro problems with D-Link?

Reaction score
My intel macbook is around three years old. My housemates and I have a d-link DIR 655 router and most of the time, I have no trouble connecting to it. My girlfriend has a macbook pro she got around one year ago, and she often if not always has trouble with really slow speeds. At first I thought it was a bandwidth issue, but even if I'm not connected, she has difficulty. Does anyone know a reason why her macbook pro would have a problem connecting to the router and what could be done to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
a tricky one to answer without seeing the set up. Take it to a Genius Bar and see if it is slow there. Then if there is still a problem they can look at your settings there and then

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What form of encryption is being used on the router? If it's WEP, that could possibly explain the trouble.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah, we use WEP 40/128 bit Hex. I don't have a problem when I use it on my older computer, but she does on her newer one. Do you know what the reason for that would be?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yeah, we use WEP 40/128 bit Hex. I don't have a problem when I use it on my older computer, but she does on her newer one. Do you know what the reason for that would be?

WEP is dead, has been for years. WPA replaced it a long time ago. WPA is:

1. More secure
2. Easier to use
3. More universally compatible since it doesn't have multiple keys that may need to be entered in multiple ways.
4. Faster in general

So, login to the router's configuration webpage, switch the security over to WPA (or even better, WPA2, assuming your other computers support it).

When you're done, you'll need to reconnect each of the wireless devices and everything should work perfectly.

I use a DIR-655 with a MacBook Pro and have never had an issue with it. Great router, overall.

Reaction score
WEP is dead, has been for years. WPA replaced it a long time ago. WPA is:

1. More secure
2. Easier to use
3. More universally compatible since it doesn't have multiple keys that may need to be entered in multiple ways.
4. Faster in general

So, login to the router's configuration webpage, switch the security over to WPA (or even better, WPA2, assuming your other computers support it).

When you're done, you'll need to reconnect each of the wireless devices and everything should work perfectly.

I use a DIR-655 with a MacBook Pro and have never had an issue with it. Great router, overall.

WPA is also incompatible with some portable devices. (Nintendo DS, some PDAs probably the PSP)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
WEP can be hacked in sometimes as short as 5 minutes. I will not expose my network to a hacker just to make an outdated device to work. The OP is having issues and using WEP. What CWA suggested to the OP is very sound advice.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
WPA is also incompatible with some portable devices. (Nintendo DS, some PDAs probably the PSP)

Honestly, any device made since 2004 should be WPA compatible, or compatible with a firmware update. WPA has been around for a LONG time now.

In my opinion, the benefits FAR outweigh any compatibility concerns. If you don't believe me, Google the terms "hack WEP 60 seconds". Literally, WEP can be hacked so easily, you might as well not even bother with encryption.

This might not bother you on the surface, but if you're running any kind of file/print sharing on your home network, this is a major liability. And if you think there aren't people who do this for sport, think again. If you ever want to get really paranoid, Google up "wifi maps" to find dozens of sites where war drivers plot out wifi hot spots on maps, with specific details about security.

If you are using WiFi and don't have WPA turned on at a minimum, it's like rolling out the red carpet to these guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.