Lightning connector

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're going to need to be more specific than this. What have you heard? What are you concerned about? What are you trying to do? What machine are you using?

OP
F
Reaction score
lightning sd card reader

I have the latest Ipad and my previous Ipad 2 used a connector to transfer photo's from my Nikon D60. The new very small connector has a lot of bad reports on the Apple Forum site in as much people cannot use it with IO7 and not recognising various cards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a question or are you just making a statement? Are you asking how to transfer photos from your Nikon to your new iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello & welcome to the forum! :) I own the iPad 2 and have the old 30-pin docking adapter which has worked fine for me w/ my camera's SD cards and has worked on iOS 7.0.4. However, I'm certainly aware of problems w/ these adapters, especially non-Apple offerings (just need to look on Amazon @ some of the reviews for these less expensive products).

I'm assuming you have the iPad Air which requires the Lightning adapter (like the one shown below from the Apple Store) - this one accepts a SD card, and another uses an USB link. The reviews on this device there are also shown below and are fairly mediocre w/ lots of poor votes - if you purchase from an Apple retailer and you might want to visit, then you can 'test' some w/ your camera's SD card(s) - just a suggestion.

Another consideration are some of the 'wireless' devices that accept SD cards and required no iPad cabling; e.g. I own the AirStash - a free app is available for the iPad; the small gadget sets up a personal Wi-Fi network which the app detects and allows image transfer in either direction - click the link & read the reviews (you can also search & DL the manual). Good luck! Dave

Screen Shot 2014-01-20 at 5.11.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-20 at 5.11.20 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Fhsfhs - welcome to the forum! :) Now I just left a post to another newbie w/ a similar name, i.e. 'Fhsfhs1976' for the same question? Did you register here twice? If not, then check out this link SD Card Reader - might help answer your question. Dave

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hi Fhsfhs - welcome to the forum! :) Now I just left a post to another newbie w/ a similar name, i.e. 'Fhsfhs1976' for the same question? Did you register here twice? ...

Not any longer...

(Just so you knew you weren't losing it ;) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not any longer...

(Just so you knew you weren't losing it ;) )

Hi Bobtomay - LOL! :) Of course I knew it was the same person but I seem to be just too polite on public forums - Dave ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hi Bobtomay - LOL! :) Of course I knew it was the same person but I seem to be just too polite on public forums - Dave ;)

Stick around. We'll soon have that little character flaw in hand. :)

C

chas_m

To answer the OP's question, I put VERY little stock in Apple Store reviews, as they mostly seem to be written by witless incompetents. I would certainly trust Apple's version of the product ahead of a Chinese-made knock-off version, if that's what he's asking ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To answer the OP's question, I put VERY little stock in Apple Store reviews, as they mostly seem to be written by witless incompetents. I would certainly trust Apple's version of the product ahead of a Chinese-made knock-off version, if that's what he's asking ...
-

Don't disagree @ all - now, I'd rather see the chart skewed to the higher ratings but in this situation, reading some of those negative comments helps, and yes many are obviously from users not knowing how to use the adapter/device.

I've owned the Apple 30-pin adapter for my iPad 2 now nearly 3 years - has worked just fine and I would buy the Apple Lightning adapter for my wife's Mini w/o hesitation, but she does not really use a camera or cares much about photos on the device - I guess email, FB, & games keeps her plenty busy! ;)

Plus w/ the 'wireless' AirStash (linked in my previous post) and the app on her Mini - photo transfer would be easy, so a nice device in a house w/ multiple iPads and adapter needs - the gadget eliminates the adapter dilemma. Dave :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To answer the OP's question, I put VERY little stock in Apple Store reviews, as they mostly seem to be written by witless incompetents.
Well, that's weird logic. Aren't Apple devices supposed to "just work"? Beyond that, who has the right to invalidate the negative reviews of "witless incompetents"? What about the positive reviews? Maybe they're written by overzealous apologists who can't get over the fact that people write negative reviews.

I think it's important to take those negative reviews into context - it's very possible that an Apple adapter just plain sucks.

fhsfhs1976, have you considered wireless/networking based solutions like Dropbox?

C

chas_m

Beyond that, who has the right to invalidate the negative reviews of "witless incompetents"?

People who have read them. :)

I didn't say all negative reviews are written by witless incompetents. I said a lot of them are. That's not the same thing.

What about the positive reviews?

Mostly written by naive sycophants. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think it's important to read the application reviews posted in the Mac App store. There are obviously some that are written by folks who have "no clue" as to what they're doing. But for the most part, the reviews give an overall honest opinion of the App.

When I see an App that has a page of negative reviews from users who mostly have the same complaints, I know that particular app is one to stay away from. And yes, there are apps from some developers who have purposely placed false positive reviews in order to boost sales. But you can usually spot those.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.