I've connected my MacBook to my HDTV I see the Background but no dock, icons, NOTHING

Tao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook Black 4GB RAM Mid 2008
Hi All,

I'm attempting to connect my MacBook to my HDTV, I have the apple mini dvi to VGA cable and i'm connecting that to my tele via another VGA cable!

I can see the background of my desktop on my Samsung 26" HDTV but I cannot see my mouse, no dock, no finder no nothing! It just looks like a picture of my background on my TV!

Does anyone know why this is happening? Please help!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz Leopard
try restarting, your macbook should recognize the tv as a display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Don't panic, what you're seeing is normal. The default setting is to extend the desktop and not mirror it, which means you should be able to drag stuff over to the new monitor but you won't see the menu bar or dock. If you want it so that the TV shows everything on your laptops screen, then go into your System Preferences --> Displays and check off the Mirroring option.

OP
T

Tao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook Black 4GB RAM Mid 2008
Ahh thank you very much, it looks great!!!

And thanks for the tip! I now may have to invest in a wireless keyboard and a set of good speakers!!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Ahh thank you very much, it looks great!!!

And thanks for the tip! I now may have to invest in a wireless keyboard and a set of good speakers!!

Thanks!

You won't get sounds from the TV when you connect your notebook to it? I have a top-of-the-line surrround system so should I or can I, connect the notebook to my stereo receiver for sound?

Thanks@

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i use a headphone to audio jack (red and yellow cables) to connect my comp to my HDTV to get sound

Reaction score
Sound and Audio

If you have a top of the line surround speakers you can always use the optical out on your macbook. My Pioneer sound system has four optical inputs and two out, have a look on the back of the head unit (cab).

Derek.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
I use my 30" Sanyo (cheap TV) connected via an HDMI connection, with the audio pulling from the microphone jack to the RCA connections in the back. I also have Apple's wireless keyboard and might mouse, so I can sit back on my couch and use it. Works great for movies, but I find it's difficult to read text on the TV when at a comfortable distance. Setting the resolution lower on the TV does make it a little better, but it's not as crisp as I had hoped it would be. I tend to use the zoom function (option+mouse scroll wheel) to zoom into text I need to read.

Reaction score
Plug my macbook into a non HD tv?

Hi, i want to plug my white macbook into a tv thats not HD. Its one of the old ones with the three wires, red yellow and white. and i want audio aswell.

What do i need???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Mini-dvi to composite (RCA)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.